Any ideas of good books to read?

I have been desperate to read a good book lately but I can't find any one's I am interested in. I don't want any teenager crap or anything like Twilight as a read all that stuff when I was a teenager. I loved the Girl With A Dragon Tattoo series, but I don't want to read anymore crime at the moment. I guess I'm just looking for something different. I'm not necessarily looking for a NYT bestseller, I just want something good. Any ideas? :)

1, Gregor and the Overlander. A book series about a boy and her little sister who accidentally fall into the Underland. This series includes giant talking rats, huge ridable bats, and unique citizens with extraordinary features.

2. The Uglies. A dystopian, 3rd person series about a girl named Tally Youngblood and how her world organizes citizens. There's Uglies, Pretties, Littlies, Crumblies, and Specials. A very adventurous journey.

3. Divergent. A dystopian world where yet again, their people are organized. This time into factions: Dauntless:fearless, undaunted. Amity: friendship; peaceful harmony. Candor:the state or quality of being frank, open, and sincere in speech or expression; candidness. Erudite:characterized by great knowledge; learned or scholarly. Abnegation: to refuse or deny oneself (some rights, conveniences, etc.); reject; renounce. Divergent: diverging; differing; deviating. Beatrice Prior, a Abnegation girl, is considered Divergent. Meaning she is not suited for any of the 5 factions. She is mindblowingly powerful amongst the average person. Her journey to rebel against the groups is amazingly addicting to read.

If you want a book you can get your teeth into sort of thing, then try

'Protect and Defend' by Richard North Patterson.

I've only just seen, when checking the title, that he is a NYT bestseller but anyway... It's a book I wish I'd never read, just so I could read it for the first time again - and the funny thing is, it concerns subjects I never thought would interest me - American politics, the appointment of a female Chief Justice of the Supreme Court ( who has a secret ) and a 15 year old girl's fight, through the Courts, to be allowed an abortion. My description doesn't do it justice - but I couldn't put it down and I was near to tears towards the end ( not necessarily because of the girl though. )

This sentence from the author's website puts it much better than I can : "Protect and Defend takes us on a riveting journey between what is legal, what is right… and the price of finally knowing the difference."

On a lighter note, if you'd like a bit of fantasy with a difference, try:

Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey

I'll put a link to goodreads, as I'm rubbish at descriptions:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/153008.Kushiel_...

Funnily enough, the heroine in the Kushiel series also has a large tattoo on her back.

Two other good books that you might like are:

'Ash, A Secret History' ( about a female mercenary in medieval Europe )

and '1610 A Sundial In A Grave' both by Mary Gentle.

Hope you like at least one of 'em. Happy reading!

Well it depends on what you are interested in but here are some books that I would recommend:

Monster Hunter International: An action packed series written by Larry Correia published by Baen...Great story full of guns, monsters, etc.

The Magic of Recluce: A lengthy series that can be read in pretty much any order. Author L. E. Modesitt Jr. creates an entire world based on the balance of Order an Chaos. Magic in every single one but at the same time not exactly an action book...Adventure, fantasy I would say...

Making Money: A hilarious comedy written by Terry Pratchett. Any one of this authors books could be classified under comedy yet they all are expertly written with intriguing characters carefully shaped throughout the story that you grow attached to. Pratchett loves turning everything into a comedy from Helen of Troy to banking. Great author with many amazing published books. Adventure, Comedy...

The Diamond Throne: The book of an amazing series of three books written by David Eddings. The Queens Champion returns after years of exile to find that his Queen he raised has been poisoned and is only remaining alive because of a spell that encases her in her throne that does not heal her instead only prolonging her death. The main character is very well portrayed and the writing is top quality. This author has many other fantastic works but this is my favorite series of his.

If you need any more just ask since I really do enjoy reading and not any of that trashy Twilight nonsense...

Source(s): Previous readings

Time Traveller's Wife - obvious but actually good though, and I know this is blashphemy, I prefer the film.

If you want something quirky and interesting, though it's not really a booky book, go for some Kurt Vonnegut - that man is a genius.

I really like Sherlock Holmes, the original ones, they're really interesting.

The inheritance series (the one with Eragon, do not base it on the film, the film is terrible) are really good and, though they seem like some kind of kids' book they're not at all.

Can't really think of anything else, sorry! I haven't read "the girl with the dragon tattoo" and you've not given me much else to go on but I hope this helps.

The Catcher in the Rye

To kill a Mocking bird

The one hundred year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared

The ragged trousered philanthropists

The Great Gatsby

Fahrenheit 451

The absolutely true diary of a part time Indian

It's a kind of funny story

Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children

The house on mango street

A street car named desire

The outsiders

Read them all and would recommend them to anyone, all outstanding in their own way!

• Ana

The strange angels series by Lili st crow And the Eragon series. These two are under young adult catagory. But since your gf is in her twenties she might enjoy the adult catagory ( I don't know depends on the person) Here's a list of favorite adult book series on amazon : 1.  Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, Book 1) by Ilona Andrews 2.  Moon Called (Mercy Thompson) by Patricia Briggs 3.  Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, Dhampir, Book 1) by Karen Chance 4.  Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, Book 1) by Karen Chance

• some of the books i've read and enjoyed recently :

. The hunger games - Suzanne Collins

. Morganville Vampires - Rachel Caine

. The Prince of Thorns - Mark Lawrence

. The Night World - L.J Smith

. The Vampire Diaries - L.J Smith

. Skin Deep - Laura Jarrett

answer mine? http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201...

I read some really good books (Series) two months ago. They were called "switched, torn & ascend" by Amanda hocking. (I don't know what order they go in, but ascends last)

When I bought the first one I couldn't put it down! When I finished it I found about the other two books that followed so I bought them and I enjoyed them so much. Great story line.

Tris dies in the last divergent book allegiant so you really shouldn't see it the last book is so horribly ended its crap riding really horrible and rubbish don't endorse the series on the movie franchise read the fifth wave Barbara can't see instead you'll like it a lot better but don't read this book series because it's really really bad

The Hunt By: Andrew Fukuda This Book is the best if your into survival. Gene is living in a world with only a few hepers (human{s}) left. The others are vampires. When he is chosen to hunt the few hepers left he does not know what to do.But soon he finds out that his crush is like him. It is a Fasinating book.

Source(s): The Hunt By:Andrew Fukuda