Senior Citizens!, Can love happen more than once, in a lifetime?...?

26 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best answer

It is possible and does happen. It's not always easy to tell the difference between love, lust and loneliness.

I've known many relationships flounder that have been started on the rebound or out of loneliness.

There is also the danger of falling into the trap of comparing any subsequent love with the first or previous.

• 7 years ago

I have not experienced it but I know several people who have.

My dear friend in Hawaii lost her husband 15 years ago or so. He was only in his 40's and died in bed, their 15 year old son found him.

She was alone for years, just took care of her 3 kids and her aging father. About 5 years ago she feel in love again and has remarried A slightly older man, they live in Hawaii and are really happy.

My mother remarried after my parents divorced. My step-father was 12 years my mother's jr. but they were made for each other. They were very happy until his untimely death at age 43.

As I write, I am a bit off, my one and only niece just lost her husband early this week. They have a 7 year old daughter, funeral is on Friday in Calif.

I hope she finds another love in her life, she has lost too many people in her 43 years of life. My sister was 43 when she passed living my then 21 year old niece without a mother to share her joys and sorrows with.

Seems like the age 43 is a bit unlucky in my family.

If you give love a change to find you, it can happen more then once in a lifetime.

• Kai
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Yes of course but it probably will be slightly different each time. You can also love in so many different ways all at the same time. I love my family, but I love my friends too, and I love my cats, etc. I would not want to have to choose one over the other ever. You can love your spouse, but you love your kids too but not in the same kind of way. And often what you thought was undying love when you were 15, now from your far more worldly position you can see it was infatuation, or as they used to call it "puppy love." I do think that people who claim they can only love once have small hearts indeed. You might have one long-lasting love, but you ought to also have room in your heart for other loves too.

• 7 years ago

I believe love can happen as often as we are open to the idea and allow ourselves the luxury of falling in love. A new love can never be the *same* in my opinion but rather each new love brings its own richness and reward without ever taking anything away from former loves. Each is precious thing we hold on to. A new jewel takes nothing away from existing jewels.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Lynn
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Yes

• 7 years ago

When I was young and in college, sometimes it happened 3 or 4 times a week.

• S
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Sure. Many people have a love so great that they feel like they would be betraying their first love, but I feel the person who leaves would want us to be happy. Your beautiful Dot loves you. Our passed love ones don't want us to hurt. They may even have a hand in some how leading us to meet another. They don't want us to remain sad. The heart may be the size of our fist, but it expands to hold the love of many people in our lives. Death can steal the people we love, but not our love, nor our memories. They are ours to keep.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

absolutely - people who are "lovers" - and I mean that as a positive personality trait - and love people in general, fall in love easily. where the distinction comes in, is that as we go along, spend more and more time with the same person, I believe that love goes to different depths than can be achieved with someone we met recently. This is somewhat counterbalanced by the excitement inherent in "new" love.

just my opinion through watching friends - and some experience of my own.

• 7 years ago

Yes indeed! I am on my 3rd one . First love ended in a divorce,2nd love of 27 years ended with her death and am now on my 3rd love with 12 years in as of May 12th.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

I am not so sure about this. There are different kinds of love, but that feeling like someone is the "love of your life" well, sometimes I think that just may be a one shot deal. That is not to say that we can't be happy and love someone else, but I think its sort of a different thing.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.