Do I have a bed bug problem in my car?

I dropped off a friend that was in my car a total of five minutes. I look over and see a red, oval shaped insect on the seat next to me, I am guessing it is a bed bug or a tick. Freaking out I stopped the car pulled into a parking lot and examined all the crevasses and everywhere I could find and found one more. I immediately killed both of the bugs that I seen. From time he got into the car to killing I would say was a total 10 minutes. Should I be worried about a possible infestation? I also vacuumed my car right away. From time he got in to car being vacuumed I would say was maybe an hour. I checked all my clothing and belongings before bringing them into my apartment and found no more as well. How worried should I be?

• John W
    Favorite Answer

Bedbugs are killed by 113 fahrenheit heat for one hour or 115 fahrenheit heat for 7 minutes. Cars are often hotter than that on a summer day so they are unlikely places for bedbug infestations. If it is a bedbug, it fell off your friend. Don't invite him to your house.

Note, cars are easy to bug bomb.

I would keep watching your car, but you should examine your house as well. They are sneaky little pests and don't take long to become and infestation. Check the seams in your mattress sheets and boxspring. As well, I would suggest running your clean laundry though the dryer on high for two cycles to kill anything that may be in your clothes.

Good luck. Hope you don't have a problem on your hands!

Source(s): Lived through bedbugs for 18 months!!!!!!

Check the laws in your jurisdiction. In many states, you have the right to withhold rent until the problem is solved(especially if you leave for the duration), so long as you inform them of your intention. Make sure that you can prove it by sending them email via web-based email, so it's archived by a neutral third-party. Also be sure to quote applicable law in the message, and get a free quote from an exterminator. As an added bonus, you can save the rent money for a U-Haul so you can move out.

It is a common problem and passengers may not know they have bed bugs or may have simply sat on someone's couch who had them

With a mattress, you can use a hot hair dryer or steam iron to go around all of the seams generally bed bugs will die at temps over 115 deg F

You can do web search for natural products or a search for home made treatments

https://www.google.com/search?q=bed+bugs+cars&aq=f...

Source(s): ... I wonder if maybe leaving your car in the sun windows closed, running for an hour with the heat on high would raise the temp above 115 You would need an outdoor thermometer facing away from the heater of sun to know for sure Worth a try

not to worried but i would fumigate the car and leave the windows up in the daytime while the sun is out... because the heat kills them.