So I decided to join an online dating site?

I've been skeptical and truly believed true, honest love couldn't be found over the internet. But my career has me so isolated and I'm just not meeting anyone interesting. So, I gave it a try. After being on the site for about a month, I was sent a smile by what could be my knight. His profile matched... show more I've been skeptical and truly believed true, honest love couldn't be found over the internet. But my career has me so isolated and I'm just not meeting anyone interesting. So, I gave it a try. After being on the site for about a month, I was sent a smile by what could be my knight. His profile matched mine and he was all I was looking for. Tall, educated, Worldly just too good to be true. We emailed on the site a couple of times and then some crazy person started emailing me, so I gave the Knight my private email. He has been emailing once or twice a week since then. Always a gentleman, even poetry!! Sometimes, pictures of roses..very romantic, but tasteful. He has an incredible career and seems to do well for himself. Did I mention he is very nice to look at??
So recently, I mentioned in an email I wish I could talk to him. His immediate response was sure we can text each other everyday! What?! I was taken aback! A man who wants to text everyday.? So we do, once a day, usually in the morning. He says he wakes with me on his mind, and always gives me some inspirational message for the day. Its great!! Here's the thing, I have had two long term relationships in my life, both ending because I just chose the wrong person, twice. I am older and hopefully wiser now and I am trying not to make the same mistake again. At glance, this guy seems to be the one, after such a long period of garbage, but my guards are up high, mainly because of this internet thing. Is he cat-fishing me, is he a serial killer, is he married> All these questions come to mind. Plus, he's taking it so slow, which I really like, but why? Since we have exchanged numbers, why does he only text, and not call? Mind you, I rather take it slow because I am in a time of physical transition, and didn't expect to meet anyone this fast. But I still wonder, why so slow?
He definitely is someone I think I would like a serious relationship with and he has so many of the qualities I was looking for, I don't want to lose him because I'm too unsure. How can I keep the texting going without him losing interest? What is the protocol for safe online dating? What are the red flags? Has it worked for you? if so, How?

PS He does have a pic of me and I have several of him...but pics can be deceiving