Be careful going to the UAE?

Are modern Arab countries like UAE still this backward? A woman from Australia was working for a hotel chain in UAE and was raped by 3 men after her drink was spiked in the hotel she worked at and when she reported it to police she was arrested for sex outside of marriage and served 8 months in jail.... show more Are modern Arab countries like UAE still this backward? A woman from Australia was working for a hotel chain in UAE and was raped by 3 men after her drink was spiked in the hotel she worked at and when she reported it to police she was arrested for sex outside of marriage and served 8 months in jail.

http://www.2gb.com/article/uae-rape
Update: It's not just the article, its a radio broadcast and they interview her lawyer. It's around 15 minutes. And it wasn't guests, I think it was employees who worked there with her. It isn't the rape that is the main point but that someone could be jailed for "being" raped. It's sends... show more It's not just the article, its a radio broadcast and they interview her lawyer. It's around 15 minutes. And it wasn't guests, I think it was employees who worked there with her. It isn't the rape that is the main point but that someone could be jailed for "being" raped. It's sends a message that if your raped in UAE (by other foreigners or locals) don't try to get help or go to the police there because you will be locked up. The lawyer said that to prove it wasn't rape she needs to have the person who raped her confess or have 4 other muslim men state that they witnessed the rape and confirm that it wasn't consentual!!! I would be interested to talk with anyone who doesn't find this the slightest bit disturbing. The fact that 4 muslim men are required to have witnessed the crime in itself is a crime (they do nothing to help!!)
Update 2: My: So you simply dismiss all negative articles as untrue and all the positive as fact. Ignorance must be bliss. It sounds like something a UAE lawman might say :)
Update 3: Word of mouse: I think two contrary words in one sentance is an oxymoron. I stated above an hour before you wrote "by other foreigners or locals". I never intended on suggesting it was Arabs that raped her as it's not the point. You are missing the point, I don't care if she was raped by... show more Word of mouse: I think two contrary words in one sentance is an oxymoron. I stated above an hour before you wrote "by other foreigners or locals". I never intended on suggesting it was Arabs that raped her as it's not the point. You are missing the point, I don't care if she was raped by Arabs, Christians, Muslims, Chinese or aliens.... it wouldn't matter who raped her because there is Arab law that says if you are raped and can't prove the above mentioned criteria then you are guilty. If you don't like the political leanings of whatever article or radio stations you heard the report then fine, but the law still exists and it doesn't mean that everything said is false. Every radio station or newspaper has a bias.

And she wasn't sentanced wrongly, that's the problem!!! She was sentance according to the law there. You agree with the criteria above about proving if you were raped in UAE? Even if she wasn't raped and it was consens
Update 4: Even if she wasn't raped and it was consensual, you agree she should have been sentanced to 8 months prison? If your argument is "...its that countries customs and you should now before you leave" then I agree also which is why I posted it here. Most of what you say I have already stated above or in... show more Even if she wasn't raped and it was consensual, you agree she should have been sentanced to 8 months prison? If your argument is "...its that countries customs and you should now before you leave" then I agree also which is why I posted it here.

Most of what you say I have already stated above or in the radio broadcast so I'm not sure why your repeating it.
Update 5: Here's a left wing newspaper the Guardian in UK that has some things to say:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jun/29/uae-rape-victims-women
Update 6: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jan/29/dubai-rape-women-middle-east
Update 7: I also state clearly above she was arrested for sex outside of marriage, I'm not sure where you got I said she was arrested for rape??
Update 8: You also state the Australian Embassy didn't help and this is further prove that she is a liar or that the UAE is correct. She is sueing the Australian government (or embassy) for neglecting their duty to protect a citizen.
Update 9: H: Respect your opinion. But you give an example of a German husband arrested for kissing an Indian man and serving time in prison, thats something that westerners don't probably know or understand (his morality is his own sin and burden to live with). Being gay isn't a crime in western countries...... show more H: Respect your opinion. But you give an example of a German husband arrested for kissing an Indian man and serving time in prison, thats something that westerners don't probably know or understand (his morality is his own sin and burden to live with). Being gay isn't a crime in western countries... anymore.

If the woman had consensual sex with the men (or just one man), could the police legally arrest her and put her in jail?
Update 10: And just because she is sueing the government doesn't mean she is just after money from the publicity. If she doesn't sue then people say she has no case against the government and the embassy didn't help because she was guilty of something (as word of mouse stated) or if she sues you say "she is... show more And just because she is sueing the government doesn't mean she is just after money from the publicity. If she doesn't sue then people say she has no case against the government and the embassy didn't help because she was guilty of something (as word of mouse stated) or if she sues you say "she is just after money from the publicity". If I was locked up for 8 months after being raped and the consolute did nothing I would be angry aswell.
Update 11: Word of Mouse: Have you listened to the interview? You always seem to avoid answering my question: If she had consensual sex with a man in UAE would she be breaking the law and face imprisionment? I'm not sure when I have called you any names or insulted you as you claim, please clarify? The one who seems... show more Word of Mouse: Have you listened to the interview? You always seem to avoid answering my question: If she had consensual sex with a man in UAE would she be breaking the law and face imprisionment? I'm not sure when I have called you any names or insulted you as you claim, please clarify? The one who seems to have done so is you by calling me a liar even when I provide the link with the people saying it.
Update 12: H: As the interview states she called them before going to the police and they knew but didn't advise her not to do so because she may be in danger. Not sure what other things they did or didn't do. I realise they can't stop her from going to prison no matter how stupid the law is.