promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 7 years ago

can i use my national insurance number as my address proof to open a bank account?

i just got a job in london so i need an account asap, i went to the bank and they said they cant open an account for me as i dont have address proof, im not paying any bills as in my rent everything is included i just arrived in the uk how can i get a bank account asap??! please help

6 Answers

Relevance
  • !
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favourite answer

Your NI number doesn't give proof of address.

Banks are required to get such proof, but they are well used to seeing people who have just moved. Ask them what they would accept as evidence.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Athene
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Usually a recent letter from a government agency, showing your name and address, is adequate. Such as the DWP, Inland Revenue, NHS.

Have a look on the bank's website at what constitutes proof for them, if you need more ideas. Some banks may have a different list to others. I've heard the Post Office, Co-op and Halifax are relatively accommodating.

Another option sometimes available, is to have a parent or whomever you're staying with do a letter confirming you're resident there - you'll probably need to include proof of their ID and address too, though - or take that person along to the bank with you, to open the account.

Maybe approach a bank your relatives have a good relationship with.

Good luck!

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Did you receive a letter stating your NI number, if so that is proof of address. how do you pay your rent ?, a letter from your landlord might help.

UK

• 7 years ago

Your national insurance number is linked to you and not where you live. If you are paying rent, then you must have a rent agreement. Use that.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

You rent. Therefore you have a tenancy agreement, which is your proof of address. If you don't have a tenancy agreement your landlord is acting illegally.

• SS4
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Your tenancy agreement is proof of address.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.