How do you know if magnets repel before you use them?

I'm doing a Maglev train for a energy project, but I'm not very knowledgeable about magnets. How do I know if two types of magnets repel? Do the same kind of magnets repel? (and btw I am getting Neodymium n35 magnets)

I the maglev requires electromagnets because you must be able to raise the train of the ground and keep it balanced with a feedback scheme. A feed back scheme requires electronic control of the lift electro magnets if it is to be kept of the ground and requires it own internal power or possible power supplied from induction.

The trains propulsion requires a linear motor. Building a linear motor to move a model train on tracks would be a good project in and of itself. You will have to come up with a way to switch the electromagnets on and off to pull the train forward.

The maglev trains using a superconductor will not work without being cooled to temperatures achievable using liquid nitrogen. The examples in these cases use a push to set them in motion and the continue in motion because of the initial energy was imparted when pushed. Liquid nitrogen is dangerous should your skin com in contact with it.

Also don't try to make any over unity motor generators because these are frauds as are motors using permeate magnets only. You can use to permeate magnets to create a magnetic spring.

Source(s): Engineer from MIT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weWmTldrOyo

Every magnet, regardless of material, must have north and south poles. Like poles repel, unlike poles attract.

regrettably for me i need to be the guy who attracts-each individual who desires to borrow each individual who desires a favour and final yet no longer least each physique with an prolonged depressing tale they ought to get of their chest