Can you grow grape vines in pots?

.... or do they need solid ground? The reason why is I had a crazy idea of making a mobile grape vine (make a small lattice type fence that you can put in the ground and if you can put grape in a pot you can move the vines to a different location). Would this work?

One of the reasons I want to try it is because there are a number of locations around the house we think it would look ok but aren't certain so it would be great to be able to move it around. We don't want 3 seperate grape vines.

I would move the whole fence. I was thinking of attaching shelves on the fence to place the vine pots (these really just touch the ground) but if it was moved wouldn't tear or disturb the vines as much... I hope. I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear, hope so.

• Avalon

Grape vines need a bright sunny sheltered site with good drainage and their roots kept cool so it's not about where the vine looks good but where the conditions are right for it. Do all of your proposed locations meet these conditions? If not that simplifies the matter, and the simple fact is you will not find it easy to move a vine in a pot and what you describe as a mobile fence. Unless the fence is secured stoutly with posts in the ground then in a strong wind it will blow down.

If you really want to grow a vine in a pot the best thing is to grow it as a standard. Then you can move the pot around easily and even bring it indoors in the winter for protection. Basically you train the vine up a stout bamboo cane inserted in a large container that has plenty of crocks in the bottom for drainage. Remove stems from the base of the plant. Allow side stems to develop for the first one or two years. In the third winter remove all the side branches leaving only the top branches. Allow 5-6 branches to develop at the top and prune side branches to 5 leaves and don't let them grow any bigger. Prune the side shoots developing from side branches to one Lea. In the first cropping year only allow one bunch of grapes to develop. In subsequent years allow one bunch per side branch. In early winter prune the side branches back to 2 buds.

• Lynn

Yes and no. Yes, if you do the research for exactly what kind of soil it needs, you can grow grape vines in pots. BUT this is like asking, "Can I move small trees around with the fences?"

Grape vines are thick-trunked plants that really do require something to lean on. They don't merely lean, they grow around. You need something sturdy to grow them on and once they're grown, they aren't moving, unless you're planning on moving the fence with them.

There are a number of places they could grow? Then find the absolute best place grape vines will thrive and plant them there. (There's a difference in micro-climates in yards. In the northern hemisphere, the south side of the house gets the best sunlight. The west is next, north is worse, etc.) Also, grapes are a fruit, so it might need acidic soil or alkaline. The reasons I don't grow tree size fruit in my container garden is lack of space and too much effort to make the soil right for them.

Well

Here is a good resource about how to grow grape vines http://www.downloadita.it/r/rd.asp?gid=419.

I had 0 experience and now I have a nice vine in my backyard.