Is it safe to take Zyban (Wellbutrin) and Sertraline together. PLEASE READ?

I've been on Sertraline for about 2 years 150mg a day for depression however it doesnt seem to make any difference to my mental health. I asked my psychiatrist if i could try Wellbutrin as ive read online that it is good for weightloss as well as depression. Wellbutrin isnt prescribed for depression in the UK... show more I've been on Sertraline for about 2 years 150mg a day for depression however it doesnt seem to make any difference to my mental health. I asked my psychiatrist if i could try Wellbutrin as ive read online that it is good for weightloss as well as depression. Wellbutrin isnt prescribed for depression in the UK anymore though. I am very overweight which has a massive effect on my mental health. My doctor thinks its the cause of my depression. I have been rejected for gastric band surgery as i am not heavy enough.

I stopped taking my sertraline 4 days ago (Tuesday 7th) and started taking 150mg of Wellbutrin a day which will increase to 2 a day in a weeks time.

I have been getting severe side effects from the sudden withdrawal of Sertraline. Anxiety, nightmares, heart flutters etc and want to take a small dose of Sertraline to stop this and wean myself off it gradually HOWEVER, i have read that there is a major interaction when taking the drugs together. ie possible seizures. A pharmacist confirmed this last night BUT i have just spoke to an NHS duty doctor who said that he couldnt find an interaction and it will be ok to take together.

I dont know what to do for the best. Do i take a small dose of Sertraline to help with the withdrawal symptoms? If I do i MAY be increasing the risk of having a seizure!

Please help
Update: Just to let you know that I have recently had blood tests which were all clear. Not diabetic, blood pressure is fine etc
Update 2: Im not diabetic, blood pressure is fine.
1 answer 1