A question about engagement rings.?

It's supposed to be romantic if a man proposes to his girlfriend 'out of the blue', goes down on one knee and presents her with a ring. If you are a man and did this, did you get her ring size right by guessing? Or did you give her a hint you might propose, so you could find out? I'm just... show more It's supposed to be romantic if a man proposes to his girlfriend 'out of the blue', goes down on one knee and presents her with a ring. If you are a man and did this, did you get her ring size right by guessing? Or did you give her a hint you might propose, so you could find out?
I'm just wondering, as my husband took me shopping for my ring, after I accepted his marriage proposal.
Update: Thanks Tils, but what if she does not wear a ring on her ring finger, as she's told you must not if not engaged or married? My mum told me you should not do this, to show availability.