Tattoos at 16 with parental consent?

So my mum said that I can get a small tattoo on my stomach in a few days as I am 16. But my tattooist said that you can't get a tattoo at 16 with parental consent. Does anyone know the official laws on this or anywhere that would tattoo me with my mums consent in London?

Ok what you need to do when you're 16 is take your mum (I'm guessing you couldn't nag your dad enough) to the tattoo studio.

Then you can get your tattoo, as soon as she has provided the artist with enough financial security to cover the loss of local authority licence, the fine and loss of earnings, as ...

'Prohibition of tattooing of minors..

It shall be an offence to tattoo a person under the age of eighteen except when the tattoo is performed for medical reasons by a duly qualified medical practioner or by a person working under his direction, but it shall be a defence for a person charged to show that at the time the tattoo was performed he had reasonable cause to believe that the person tattooed was of or over the age of eighteen and did in fact so believe.'

How can a generation, that has so much information available to them in such a short space of time know so little?

A minor? I know ! Right cos I'm sooo grown up right now.....

Tattoo At 16 With Parental Consent

It is against the law for anyone to tattoo you when you are 16, even if your mum gives her consent. The law states that you must be 18 to get a tattoo, with no exceptions.

Plus, anywhere that is willing to tattoo a 16 year old will probably be willing to break the law on several others things also, such as hygiene, and the quality of the tattoos might not be the best. You're best waiting till you are 18.

Source(s): I got my first two tattoos done when I was 16. They are of terrible quality compared to my other tattoos, and they're so bad I'm considering getting them covered over or removed. The artist who did them has had his licence removed for tattooing people under the age of 18 and for breaking laws on hygiene. Don't make the same mistakes I made.

Under the tattooing of minors act 1969 it clearly states the following: 'It shall be an offence to tattoo a person under the age of 18 except when the tattoo is performed for medical reasons by a duly qualified medical practitioner or by a person working under his/her direction.

This means you cannot get a tattoo under the age of 18 even with your parents consent, even if they come to the shop with you. The actual penalty under the act is fairly minimal, a maximum fine of £50 for the first offence, then a maximum fine of £100 for any second or subsequent offence. The main problem occurs when the local council find out as they will withdraw the artists registration, which all artists must have to operate a shop, and they then cannot get liability insurance.

Source(s): sleeved from neck to feet over last 15 years.
  • Lava

I was under the impression that in the UK it was 18 and up only for tattoos, but I could be wrong. Call a few shops and ask the staff about the actual law versus just the shop's policy. Any tattoo artist worth trusting should be able to near quote the law to you.

Nope. 18 or older only. Parental consent doesn't mean anything and frankly your mother should know better. If you can find someone willing to break the law in order to tattoo you, run, run as fast as you can because if they don't care about trivial things like the laws governing their chosen profession they probably don't care much about other trivial things like hygiene and you'll end up with an infection to go with your crappy artwork.

Source(s): Tattooing of minors act, 1969.
  • Laura

You can get a tattoo with parental consent in london, as long as the tattoo artist will do it. Legally, you can, but legally they can refuse to tattoo you. Call around to some local tattoo shops and ask if they will tattoo you at 16 with parental consent.

I don't know the laws over there. I DO know that a tattoo is a statement. even in 20 years the statement will be as if you just got it yesterday. 16 is young to know what you want on your body when you are 70.

You can't have a tattoo until you're 18, with or without parental consent.

As far as I understand you need to be 18 - but I would imagine different tattoo parlours are more lenient than others.

Personally I always think it's a shame when young girls get tattoos - they aren't exactly the epitome of class, are they?