What happens if an opera singer gets the hiccups?

I mean (hic) if someone is singing like in (hic) the Phantom of the Opera or (hic) a really famous opera and they're REALLY famous (hic) what happens if they get the hiccups? (hic)

Favorite Answer

They will incoperate it to the singing. Hicuuuuuuup

How funny! I don't know if I've heard of that happening, but it's possible.

I think singers in general are very careful of what they might eat or drink before a performance that might cause hiccups, gas, phlegm and other problems. Usually swallowing too much air when eating or drinking too quickly can cause hiccups, which incidentally involve spasms of the diaphragm.

Maybe since an opera singer would have very strong diaphramatic muscles to begin with, they aren't prone to hiccups in the middle of a performance. Since hiccups will also close off the larynx where the vocal cords are located, it would definitely cause interference with singing.

I think since one way to rid oneself of hiccups is to hold one's breath, perhaps the singer can wait until there is a pause in the singing (like an instrumental interlude) and take a deep breath and hold it.

And "Phantom of the Opera" is a musical--not an opera, despite its name.

Just out of curiousity, I did some searching and found a reference to a Sesame Street skit in which an opera singer got the hiccups and just incorporated into her singing.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HiccupH...

that happened to my brother as quickly as. He have been given hiccups and informed his guitar participant to bypass to the solo, on an identical time as he ran off point to drink water. Then he got here back and finishedhis music

If they can't get rid of it by the time the show is about to start, then it will most likely go to their understudy.

Duh they sing with hiccups