Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Short story about Margaret Thatcher?

I'd like to write a short story about the Iron Lady for my school writing competition. I'm 15 though so I'm not fully confident about what her intentions were for Britain. Also what did she actually do? I don't mean to sound stupid haha but I'm not that sure. And I don't want to write something that is inaccurate or just wrong all together. The more detail the better. Also why was she named 'The Iron Lady'? That's just out of curiosity. And what do you think was her biggest action? Like, what was her greatest achievement for Britain, and what was one of her worst moves, the very worst if there is one. The main thing though, is what do you think would be the best event she was leader of, or just involved in, to write about? I'd like something that was quite important to Britain's history, if that makes sense haha.. Thank you for all your help! :)

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favourite answer

Margaret Thatcher got the nickname 'Iron Lady' from the Soviet Union. In a speech, she declared that Russia was 'bent on world dominance'. The Soviet press called her the 'Iron Lady' and the nickname stuck.

Margaret Thatcher became Prime Minister on May 4, 1979. As Prime Minister, she took on the trade unions and won. She got legislation passed to require secret ballots for strikes, a ban on secondary picketing and regular election of union leaders. This reduced the number of strikes in Britain and made the union leadership more accountable.

She privatized state-owned industries through offering shares to the public at low prices. Millions of Britons became the first in their family to ever own stock in a company. She also sold off council houses to their tenants, allowing many to become the first in their family to own their own homes.

Margaret Thatcher cut taxes and spending. People could keep more of their own money and spend it as they chose. But her spending cuts also meant cutting welfare benefits quite severely and eliminating subsidies to industries. Many industries had been kept afloat only by government money and Thatcher's cuts meant that many of them folded. That caused unemployment to rise. It was hard, but necessary.

Margaret Thatcher also cut government regulation, allowing business to thrive and develop and expand.

Margaret Thatcher's policies of tax cuts, spending cuts, deregulation, privatization and home-ownership led to the biggest economic boom that Britain had seen up to that point as well as many people moving up in the world. And that was her goal when she came into office.

Abroad, Margaret Thatcher maintained an aggressive foreign policy. She increased spending on Britain's military and was a staunch ally of America and its president, Ronald Reagan. In fact, she was the power behind the throne while Reagan was president.

When Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands in 1982, Margaret Thatcher sent down the Royal Navy to retake those islands. The Falklands War was a spectacular triumph for Margaret Thatcher. She showed the world that if you mess with Britain, you do so at your peril.

She also discovered Mikhail Gorbachev and quickly discovered that he was very different from most other Soviet leaders. 'We can do business together' was her take on Gorbachev. Three months after she met with him, he was appointed leader of the Soviet Union. If it was not for Margaret Thatcher, Gorbachev would never have made it to the top of Soviet politics and Eastern Europe might still not be free.

In August 1990, when Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait, it was Margaret Thatcher who made President George H. W. Bush send troops to Saudi Arabia and mobilize against Iraq's aggression. Kuwait owes its freedom to Margaret Thatcher.

• pina
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

ok properly i can't perfect your checklist for you, yet what i could say relatively (you will would desire to examine) as an occasion in politics: -ballot tax -Falklands conflict -courting with Ronald Reagan (u . s . president) - Privatisation and matters with miners (riots) -Bomb on Conservative party convention in Brighton you additionally can write approximately her relatives existence and her stable courting together with her husband additionally you will desire to contain suggestions approximately how she had to combat off people interior of her very own party, Geoffrey Howe, Michael Heseltine which introduced approximately her resignation. it may be stable to additionally perfect approximately how even nonetheless many people enjoyed her, MANY hated her wish this helps.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Why don't you go to the library and ask to see Tuesday's papers-its all there-plenty of haha material.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.