Education tax credit delay. Still have not received tax refund...?

I filed mid Feb and was told by HR Block about the delay and that we probably wouldn't receive a refund till mid-march due to the education credits issue they had. I was ok with that...It is now April 7th and the irs website says still processing. I have tried contacting the irs but theres is no options to talk to a live person. The only info I can get is that its still processing and a refund date will be provided when available. I Also tried HR block and they said all I can do is wait because they don't know anything either. This is ridiculous. Does anyone know whats going on? Or what I can do? I should be entitled to late fees, Geez.

Favorite Answer

Due to the volume of messed up 8863 forms, the IRS thinks it will need until 4/15 to clear them up.

However, even where the IRS has fixed the form, they are still withholding the refunds if either the 1098-T from the school hasn't posted or you are under 24 and do not appear to have wages of any kind, let alone enough to pay for more than half of your total support.

• Lynne

The education forms did not even start getting processed until right around the beginning of March. Then it was determined that the h &r block software, among many other software programs, was not filling in certain questions the IRS had made mandatory. At first, the IRS started sending out letters to people like you telling them they had to fill out extra forms and mail them in. Then the IRS basically decided to waive that requirement because of the hassle it was going to be. So instead, these returns, including yours, are being processed, but by hand. So it is slow going.

If you want to be angry at someone, be angry at the Washington politicians who chose not to finalize the 2012 tax code until the beginning of 2013! This left all the computer programmers for the IRS, h&r block, and others working around the clock to be able to process returns during the normal tax season. I wish that all the congressional representatives had to work in a tax processing center and deal with the mess they created themselves.

If you want to talk to a live person, call 18008291040. Then do NOT pick the selection that says you want to check on your refund. Pick the selection that says you have a personal income tax law question.

• ovies

I am within the same boat my 21 days is up at present and the refund continues to be being processed. I've claimed this credit for the prior 3 years I actually have a friend who claimed the credit score and recieved hers 2 weeks ago. I additionally needed my cash the day prior to this that is soooo irritating. I was once simply advised that I can be getting a letter in two weeks to fill anything out and ship it back wherein will take even longer. Why the tax payer can not be known as if there's an hassle annoys me people have plans for there money this isn't correct.