does anyone know where i can purchase a left handed sewing machine?

i am not able to use a sewing machine for right hander, and would love to know where i can buy a left handed sewing machine, even just a basic one or even and web page will do

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best answer

There are no machines that are made with the sewing part on the right and the hand wheel on the left. None. They are all made the same way, but being a lefty this should not impede your sewing at all, in fact it should be easier for you. Why? Because the sewing machine is a left handed machine! The hand that does all the work is the left one, the right hand does nothing more than turn the hand wheel, and now with electronic motors doing all the work the right hand does nothing. The left hand guides the fabric, operates the presser foot lever, pulls the fabric out from under the foot after sewing and lines the fabric up before sewing. All the important stuff is done with the left hand. Issac Singer and Elias Howe, the two most important developers of the modern sewing machine; were both left handed and both designed the machines for the way they used them: with the left hand. It's the righties who are at a disadvantage! The sewing machine is one of the few -no the only thing -that's designed for the lefty. So you don't need a machine that's different or made the opposite. You already have a left handed machine. What you might need is a left handed teacher or sewing instructor. If you are learning from pictures scan them and use "transpose" which will give you a mirror image of a picture and then suitable for left handed sewing. If you have a live instructor tell her to keep her hands away from yours -it doesn't help -and use a mirror when watching.

Source(s): Me. lefty. Ambidextrous actually but sewing, playing guitar, tennis, golfing and archery are all easier when I use my left hand.
  • retha
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Left Handed Sewing Machine

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

does anyone know where i can purchase a left handed sewing machine?

i am not able to use a sewing machine for right hander, and would love to know where i can buy a left handed sewing machine, even just a basic one or even and web page will do

Source(s): purchase left handed sewing machine: https://tr.im/jMjgb
  • 4 years ago

You did get a manual with the new machine? Open it and read the instructions for threading. This should be with the presser foot up. When you thread with the foot down, the tension control is closed and the thread cannot properly enter. No thread for the tension to control and you get loosey-goosey stitches that pull out. Open the needle plate and make sure this is free of any tangled thread and then re-thread the machine. Check the thread spool for nicks as this can catch the thread and cause it to break. Pressing the spool cap snugly against the cap will help, or you could smooth the nick with an emery board, or reverse the direction of the spool so the thread is not feeding against the end with the nick. Once you get the machine stitching again - open the manual and test every feature of the machine - read and do not go by pictures alone. This will help you learn the machine and sew with less stress. .

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

That is not true that sewing machines are suitable for left handers because you use your left hand more! Rubbish! If you are left handed you pin your material from left to right meaning that when you come to sew your pins are always facing the wrong way. And no "just pin the other way" doesn't help, that's like saying just write with your right hand, I can't!!

• Lewis4 years agoReport

Turn the fabric 180° before putting in the pins and they'll be the right way round. Totally not the same as writing with the wrong hand.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

There are no LONGER machines that are made reversed (actually right-handed), but they have been made in the past because that's what I learned on and used to own.

• 7 years ago

They don't seem to have links for one, but it might be worth contacting 'Anything Left Handed'. Someone there will know.

• 4 years ago

I have the same problem and don t believe the theory of them being easier for a lefty to use.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.