Sulu from Star Trek -WHY does he say 'oh my'?

Just the way he's saying it sounds like it's referring to something specific, like an in joke, but I have no idea to what. When did he first do it?

I've seen it on a commecial he did, he was just on The Neighbors and said the line when his character entered, and I've heard it elsewhere. It's driving me crazy. What is it a reference to? A stage play he was in? He certainly didn't say it on Star Trek.

It's sort of his catch-phrase that got pinned on him at some point. Somewhere he said it and somebody liked the way he said it and it stuck.

It's a reference to his homosexuality.

I'm not sure either. My guess is that because he is an Anglophile, he often says things that someone from the UK might say, plus he is now publicly gay and it just sounds funny when he says it. So he keeps saying it, or they ask him to say it.

He exclaims this when his partner penetrates him. (Sorry..I couldn't help myself.)

Even when he takes a shower, he says Oh,my.

When he eats breakfast, he says it again. He's an "Oh my" addict. Forgive him. (If you can.)