J J asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 7 years ago

Do you allow guests to wear shoes in your home?

How do you handle shoes in your home? In my house I ask everyone to take their shoes off and leave them by the door. What is your home like and who does the rule apply to.

I have a no shoes house and usually everyone is pretty good about taking their shoes off before they come in the house. I don't really push the issue with guests but almost everyone leaves their shoes by the door. I didn't first consider this rule until I had new carpets scheduled to be put in the house. One day talking with one of my co-workers about my new carpets she suggested that I make everyone take off their shoes. When inquired why she told me that she does it in her house and the carpet still looks new. I thought there was some merit to the no shoes rule and decided to give it a try. How I handle guests is through a few good clues.

1. Always have a few pairs of shoes at the door. When people arrive and see shoes by the door they usually just take their shoes off or at least ask if they should.

2. Answer the door in socks. I found that when I go to the door and I am standing there in socks and all our shoes are at the door it is a good clue that I would appreciate you doing the same. I don't wear slippers when guests come over that way we are all on the same page. If I expect them to walk around in socks, I should do the same.

I am about to have wood floors refinished and when that takes place, I am going for the no shoes in the house rule. When that time comes, I am going to have a shoe rack at the door with a basket of cushy, funky and colorful socks if my guests want to wear them.

I am doing this because 80%, yes, 80% of dirt in a house comes directly from the bottom of shoes that are worn outdoors. Also, the grit from the shoes is what scratches the floors and gets caught under the legs of furniture which then scratch the floors when the furniture is moved over the grit. This happens whether you are a good housekeeper or not. Also, grit on the floors also makes the finish dull.

Those are the reasons why I would like to have a no shoes in house rule after my wood floors are refinished. This rule will apply to all friends and family with the exception of when I have semi formal parties. I would hate to wear no shoes with a cocktail dress, so I would not expect my guests to do so either.

No. I actually read somewhere that people who take their shoes off are healthier. I really chuckled at that because I grew up in a home where every one had to take their shoes off.

I had 5 siblings and my folks. We were all very healthy growing up. Of course that was in the 50's when we didn't run off to the MD with every little sniffle and in turn got sicker from the drugs. But I digress.

Shoes are the dirtiest thing we wear. I just saw a guy vomit in the parking lot today. Ugh, that will dry and someone will walk through it. There's so many things we step in unknowingly.

So no one gets in my home with their shoes on.

• Andrea

It depends on a lot of things. Some people just have stinky feet and are embarassed if they are asked to take their shoes off. Also - if you barely know the person, it could be awkward too. Its okay to ask a close friend, or a frequent visitor to remove their shoes. But as for a 1 time guest or rare visitor, I would just let them have their shoes. Hope this helps!

• Antst

I ask everyone to remove their shoes and offer them cheap slippers or socks to wear (many people are embarrassed of their socks or feet and don't want to remove their shoes because of this, so offer something to wear).

Most of the time, I don't have to ask people because I display the slippers and my shoes right where they can be seen.

This keeps the house a LOT cleaner and it protects the floors. This means I spend far less time cleaning and I can wear bare feet in the house, which is comfortable.

If you're afraid of being direct with people, say, "here's the shoe rack and I have slippers for you right there."

• Ghee

Unless you are in some Oriental culture - I think asking someone to remove their shoes is rude - with some exceptions. I have a door mat outside to wipe off shoes on - and a rug inside the door - however, if your shoes are muddy/wet/ or extremely dirty - my family & friends will take their shoes off when they get into the house - I usually do not wear shoes inside (but I'm a barefoot kind of gal) - and my husband takes off his boots and wears slippers inside -

I suppose is depends on your culture, and routine --

My mother likes to have a clean and beautiful log cabin, so yes we'd like people to take their shoes off before they march all over the house. But we treat our guests with great hospitality. If they walk through the door and ask if they should take their shoes off, we'd say yes please. But if they walk in with their shoes on without asking, then we would let them be. We wouldn't want to embarrass/offend them in any way. We have guests occasionally, and my friends come often, but my friends take off their shoes without asking because they've been to my house frequently. Let your guests enter your house from the mudroom, where they would see shoes by the door. They would know it is right to take off their shoes. :)

I let people in with shoes on but only because I have a dark coloured carpet. If I had a light coloured carpet I'd ask them to take off and leave them by the door (unless they want to scrub the muck off lol). I can see why people do ask people to take shoes off though

I allow it but most of friendd come after school so they are not going to want to wear shoes so I say "You can take off shoes if you want to but you dont need to" Often they will take off shoes (and maybe socks) depending on what is comfy

Of course people wear shoes in my house. It would be rude to make people take them off.