Do white people really have a problem with the way blacks speak amongst each other?

I don't remember who said this but I read a response to a question about black people and someone mentioned that they had black friends who were perfectly intelligent until they were around other błack people.

Does it bother white people when black people switch dialects depending on their company?

I understand your points but do people actually use the same voice at work as they use with friends? I sure as hell don't.

Our independence and ability to actually have a patois is frightening to SOME whites..if we are not mimicking them exactly, they feel powerless..and I had white neighbors whose English was so poor it was beyond Ebonics..also, we don't get all shook up when they have their regional speak..Jersey, Pittsburgh, Bronx, Cali..it is alright for them to speak outside of formal English but we can't..double standard much?? And if you review literature, most psychologists and linguists identify that people do not speak the same way among family and friends as they do when working, at church, or something more formalized..you know if all the concern spent on what black folks are doing was spent on other things..cancer and AIDs would have been cured and the economy fixed..but the focus on trivial things get folks stuck.

EDIT: Whew they didn't like that..hee, hee..so funny.

nahh, not me anyway. i mean i've seen a few who wanna use various words just 'cause they've seen black folks use 'im in their own company, but save for those morons, no, not really. different crowd, different ways of talkin'. nor can i really point fingers, there's a huge divide between how i act professionally, and how i act on a more personal level. if i were to speak like this to the folks i work for, or dealin' with my readers they'd eat me alive, but i find if you let others think they're smarter than you are, that puts them more at ease. not to mention i get a better view of what they really are from underneath while they take the high ground, as it were.

i do not understand any Black adult males, the couple i have been round at the same time as my hair is organic all beloved it, yet it truly is not many. different adult males like it although. My hair is exceedingly, i love it in many categories, although the prettiest Black woman i have considered those days had dreads. She had a really straightforward, yet appealing face - effective makeup, rings, her type became boho and she regarded very practice and pleasing, her dreads made her stand out and look even better unique. Its weird and wonderful although, because my assumption became that she became both courting one in all those poetry loving, "earthy" Black adult males like elementary - or a White guy. the common Black guy would not look to bypass for the pleasing, organic ladies like her. Their loss.

• No not really, I understand the argument though. I think anyone would recognize when a person does that and would wonder why. It would be like me talking normally to my American friends, but turning on a British accent for my English friends. It comes off a little fake and weird, but honestly I don't hang out with people who do that so it doesn't happen to me often. So far it's never happened and if it did, I'd probably be a little confused.

To answer other peoples questions it's simply because every friend brings out a different side of you. I sure as hell don't speak the same way to ALL of my friends. Has nothing to do with pretending.

OP:

I'm not white so i can't say, but the world is very strange

• Rick B

Yes. I don't understand why a person who is capable of speaking well has to "ghetto it up" when they are with other people of color. Why does being black go hand in hand with speaking poorly?

Yes, I speak the same at work, at home, with friends, at church, etc.

Personally it bothers me because if I did have a "intelligent black friend", and he went all ghetto and hard when he talk to other black guys I'd be like wtf?

Its sorta like your speaking a whole different language. And pretending to be something your not just to fit in.

You're suppose to speak to everyone the same. But their is ways you will talk different, like your friends will be different,your manager at a job,teacher,customers,parents. ect.

Source(s): anti-racism,bully,homophobia
  • .

you answered your own question. apparently, it is an issue for some...smh.

I don't think they do, maybe they see it as funny.

Not at all, but please forgive us when we are subjected to the English language being ripped to shreads within our hearing. I have been axed about this before.

If you CAN speak proper English; why not SPEAK proper English?