Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 7 years ago

Tortoise Lighting uvb bulbs?

Hi everyone. I was wondering if I can just use the light bulbs that you can buy at target, walmart, safeway, etc. I have a uvb bulb for one of my tortoises and just got another tortoise but I only have one uvb bulb. I have a ton of the bulbs that I buy at the store but there the tiwsty design and when they light up they're white. They look just like the one in my cage. So can I use them just for a little bit until I get some more money?

• Jenny
    Favorite Answer

The every day light bulbs that you buy at the store are not going to work, they do not produce any UVA or UVB rays in them. You have to buy them online or in a pet store and replace them every 6-12 months. Get a strong uv bulb and fixture.

Source(s): I raise Sulcata Tortoises

No, the typical lights that you find at Target, Walmart, etc. do not contain UVB. While your tortoise will be okay for a few weeks (at most) it is important to get a UVB bulb on it as soon as possible. Also keep in mind that while the UVB bulbs don't burn out that frequently, they need to be replaced every 9 months (approximately) because the amount of UVB they produce will diminish, and it is not easily noticed.

Well, it depends.

What species of tortoise do you have? If they're a forest tort (Redfoot, Yellowfoot, Burmese Brown/Black, Forset Hingeback) then you do not need a UVB bulb.

You need to make 10% of their diet animal protein (low fat cat food) mixed with with powdered calcium carbonate. Forest torts uptake calcium via the D3 in animal protein vs. sunlight like arid torts.

If you have an arid environment tort, you do need a UVB bulb.

My Redfoot's have never had a UVB bulb and are perfectly healthy, produce 5 clutches of eggs each year, healthy hatchlings and have only have teh tiniest amount of pyramiding from spending they lives (12+ years old at this pont ) in Minnesota.

My Russian's and Greeks have always had UVB bulbs and are perfectly healthy as well.

Ernie

problematic task. seek on to google. that can assist!