TV has a high-pitched whine?

I have an SD Emerson TV and recently I've been able to hear a very high-pitched noise from it. I heard every now and then before but now it's louder and constant whenever the TV is on. It's very annoying and I have sensitive ears, so it gives me really bad migraines to hear it.

I was just wondering if there was anyway to get rid of the noise?

Favorite Answer

It's most likely the 'LOPT' or line output transformer. It may just be that it's loose, needs resoldering but it's not something you should attempt yourself. You could try giving the TV a gentle rap on the side next time it occurs to see if the noise stops, if so, definitely a loose lopt.

Hi InomOnurSoulz, LG WRman Sherlock here,

The most likely reason for this high-pitched noise from the TV might be a defective transformer coil which is running at a frequency not suitable for human ears. My only suggestion would be to get it checked as soon as possible before some other fault develops in your TV because of this defect.

LG WRman Sherlock out!

Flyback transformer or power regulator whine. Sometimes you can suppress the noise by purchasing a special nonconductive silicone putty available at electronics stores and just encase the offending transistor or component with a layer of it.

It sounds like it might be a power supply, which might need replacing.

Can even be the picture tube (if a Cathode Ray Tube). In that case, best to replace the TV.

Have it checked out anyay at TV repairs.

Source(s): Know something about electronics.

It's the flyback transformer. The whine indicates it's at the end of its life. It can be replaced, but the cost of the part and labor for replacement isn't worth it.