Why is it louder outside at night?

Why is there a whooshing sound when the window is open at night but not during the daytime?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favourite answer

You're probably hearing sounds more because there is less noise going on around you. Nighttime is a pretty quiet time, there is not a lot of traffic on the road or people outside and it's just as quiet inside as well. It definitely makes you hear the little things that you wouldn't hear during the daytime. Its the seam reason why you hear cracks in the wall at night but not during the day!

• TQ
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Short answer: ducting

Longer answer:

During the daytime...the sun warms the ground creating a deep 'mixed' layer of near-surface air extending between 1 and 1.5 km (3 - 5K') above the surface. This creates a relatively large volume for sound to disperse.

At night...the sun is no longer heating the ground which in turn shrinks the 'mixed' layer's height. Noise b/comes concentrated in a shallow layer of air which allows it to propagate (travel) farther than it does when the day-time 'mixed' layer is deeper.

This is known as 'ducting.'

Source(s): Meteorologist.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Night no sounds except wind, daytime, sounds from talks, cars, lawn motors, and televisions.

If you live in cave, you will hear your own bloodstream running around in your body.

• 6 years ago

Why is it louder outside at night?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Less Genral background noise at night making other stuff more noticeable

• 8 years ago

Because at night, everything is quiter. People are sleeping. less cars=less engine noise. Many other animals also sleep at night.

• 5 years ago

I have a slight case of paranoia at night?

• 5 years ago

How can i tell my husbands boss that shes a *****?she keeps changing my husband schedule ?

• 8 years ago

less background noise and its colder

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.