Am I the only person who doesn't get the American attitude on guns?

After countless shootings, including Sandy Hook, Aurora and Columbine so many Americans continue to think that more guns are the solution to gun violence. They have the loosest gun laws in the industrialized world while having the highest gun murder rate in the industrialized world. I can understand wanting to have... show more After countless shootings, including Sandy Hook, Aurora and Columbine so many Americans continue to think that more guns are the solution to gun violence. They have the loosest gun laws in the industrialized world while having the highest gun murder rate in the industrialized world. I can understand wanting to have a gun for hunting and/or self defense, but so many Americans continue to think that their communities are safer when they own guns like AK-47s, M-16s and AR-15s, which have no alternate use but to kill other people beyond self-defense. Some people have even said they'll need guns for when America gets invaded, seemingly ignoring that nobody is going to invade a nation with nuclear weapons (the USSR never did) as well as the fact that the US military is the largest in the world.
And these ideas have been implemented in societies like China, Japan, Australia and Canada, all of which saw their murder rates drop while the last three continue to be free democracies with individual rights.
It just seems to me that the America focus isn't to keep their comunities safe, rather the focus is to make sure that nothing happens make it harder for them to own guns. I just don't get the reasoning process here, isn't community safety more important than being able to own guns designed to murder as many people as possible, given the context that the proper authorities will be able to use those if the time ever comes?