Am I the only person who doesn't get the American attitude on guns?

After countless shootings, including Sandy Hook, Aurora and Columbine so many Americans continue to think that more guns are the solution to gun violence. They have the loosest gun laws in the industrialized world while having the highest gun murder rate in the industrialized world. I can understand wanting to have a gun for hunting and/or self defense, but so many Americans continue to think that their communities are safer when they own guns like AK-47s, M-16s and AR-15s, which have no alternate use but to kill other people beyond self-defense. Some people have even said they'll need guns for when America gets invaded, seemingly ignoring that nobody is going to invade a nation with nuclear weapons (the USSR never did) as well as the fact that the US military is the largest in the world.

And these ideas have been implemented in societies like China, Japan, Australia and Canada, all of which saw their murder rates drop while the last three continue to be free democracies with individual rights.

It just seems to me that the America focus isn't to keep their comunities safe, rather the focus is to make sure that nothing happens make it harder for them to own guns. I just don't get the reasoning process here, isn't community safety more important than being able to own guns designed to murder as many people as possible, given the context that the proper authorities will be able to use those if the time ever comes?

• Talasi

Okay. More guns are not the solution to gun violence. While you will not see anybody commit an armed robbery of a gun shop, you cannot say throwing more weapons into the mix will even things out. That's a little extreme, and there is no strong evidence to back this claim.

However. You cannot say guns are the cause of most violence either. I do not understand how people can keep drawing these connections when we have seven billion people in this world, and ENORMOUS statistics to gage from. Look up the countries with highest gun ownership. Yeah, The United States is front and center. Now look lup countries with highest homicide rates. The United States is not a blip.

The correlation seems to be with the country's development, because of ALL the countries in this world, we cannot draw connections between their gun laws and the times their inhabitants decide to go and kill people.

Additionally, after the UK and Australia decided to ban guns, their violent crime levels rose. It was astonishing. I do believe this could be coincidental, because there is not enough evidence, and no dramatic change in the homicide rate. It did not drop substantially, either. Granted, their rates are lower than the United States', as they have always been, even when they did allow guns. Their rates have began to decline lately, as it has in EVERY developed country. Look at it separately, look at it together. Is the world changing, or is the country changing?

I wish everyone would get a little more statistical about this. You can find the REAL trends.

You are citing extreme examples in the United States, where gun laws were broken. I think Sandy Hook was the only one where that weapon was registered at all, (a requirement or you can be arrested) and it wasn't his. That's quite illegal, before a single shot was fired. In countries when guns are banned, people still own them illegally. Perhaps that contributes to the incredible handgun street crime in the UK? Look it up, if you'd like. It's growing enormously, and the only reason it's not reaching more papers is because it hasn't resulted in many fatalities.

While I do not support this (as I think it would elevate conflict), I do understand why people would say "well if the bad guys get a gun, I want a gun!" But do you see how banning something is ineffective in removing it entirely? It only removes it from those who follow the rules.

I admit I'm not exactly as familiar with Canada, but it is fortunate in the regard that its citizens are overall less prone to violence. Look up violent acts that have NOTHING to do with firearms, and the rates are very low compared to the rest of the world. That's not at all related to a ban on guns. Thank the culture, or the society, or the upbringing, etc. Now, I believe if Canada were to enact personal gun laws, those rates would still stay low as well.

I am in the middle ground, but I insist people look at the figures properly. No spinning. If you want to remove guns, you have to be able to get them all, and not just leave them in the hands of criminals. And you can't use tweaked numbers as a reason to remove them. Let's play fair and clean. Both sides.

• Kurt

No you're not

Unfortunately the NRA is a very wealthy and very powerful organization that has no interest in loosing revenue so they will do what they have to in order to ensure gun sales continue to rise. This includes making ridiculous claims like that shooting happen as a result of "gun free zones" because people can't protect themselves from potential shooters. Therefore we should have armed guards in elementary schools and allow teachers to carry weapons etc. If we're going to believe that kind of crap then we might as well just allow people to bring guns on planes, after all hijackings only happen because the passengers don't have the guns they need to protect themselves and the aircraft right?

I'll say one more thing in case the paragraph above doesn't get enough negative votes from gun supporters. Gun advocates seem to love hiding behind the famous 2nd amendment stating that owning a gun is their God given right and that can never be changed because it's in the constitution. Of course nobody stops to realize what "amendment" means. Amendments are changes to the constitution, used to accomodate changing times. For example several amendments were added to protect the rights of slaves after the civil war. If they amended the constution then, why can't they do it again now? How about protecting the rights of innocent people in a world where automatic weapons are making massacres all too easy?

Then again what would I know? I'm just a gunless Canadian.

I'll try to answer this before I sit down to watch the weather forecast. IMO it really doesn't matter either way. If a person wants to get these guns they can, probably even cheaper on the streeets. Well, I'm now off to a job interview as a office clerk.

Make up your mind. Either we have the weapons needed for hunting and self defense or we don't.

AR15 - one of the most popular hunting platforms available...a semi-auto rifle that can and has been used as a self-defense weapon.

"And these ideas have been implemented in societies like China..."

And this is good, how? China has one of the most corrupt governments on the planet, and a criminal element second to none. So, if the State and criminals are the only ones armed...

"...more important than being able to own guns designed to murder as many people as possible,..."

A rope has two ends - you see guns as murder machines, we see them as tools of protection.

What I think we agree on is that the mentally damaged need treatment and separation from weapons.

• Arnie

Making something against the law will not always stop it.. If guns were ever against the law than only the bad guys would have them..

Having a gun will not help all the time but being defenseless will never help..

Calling 911 and asking the bad guy to wait is not a viable option

Better to have a gun and not need it than to need it and not have it!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's really not all that mystifying. It amounts to either too much fear that danger lurks in our midst or too little belief in the usefulness of laws. You just need to listen closely to realize those are the two things fueling the gun obsessed to think there is no alternative but to own a gun.

Americans have a vigilante approach to their problems, no matter what laws Government passes there is no way to keep everyone safe but keeping dangerous guns off the street is a great way to help :)

It is not about guns here, it is about a culture of violence. Yes, you don't get it. BTW how often do you complain about all the killings with guns and bombs in the Middle East? Sadly our culture has this fault. I understand many foreigners are intelligent people so why do they have such difficulty understanding cause and affect?

• Dylan

IMO it really doesn't matter either way. If a person wants to get these guns they can, probably even cheaper on the streeets.

Well that's just it, there is no definitive "American" attitude on guns. There's a wide range of discourse and opinion on the subject.