Motorcycle tips for beginners and help with confidence?

Long story short, I had a 125. Rode it for a while. Sold it. Now, 6 moths later, I needed another bike to travel and have purchased and insured one. How can I gain my confidence to ride on the rode? Also, tips for gear shifting and clutch control? Clutch control is my biggest concern as I hate stalling the bike and thats all I seem to do! Thanks very much.

• Dan
    Favorite Answer

Your clutch control will become better when you ride more. The hardest part of a clutch is when pulling off from a stop, you want to let the leaver out really gently & slowly. This will help you find where the clutch engages, you dont need any revs at all in most cases. When you find the place where the clutch engages, the bike will start to move even without any throttle. Just give it a little throttle and loose the clutch out fully, then you're good to go. When you're moving, it doesn't really matter on how fast you loose the clutch out. You want to shift at a mid-way RPM, so the engine doesn't lugg in the next higher gear. When shifting down, make sure you're in relatively low RPM.

There are many ways to learn. When I decided to buy a motorcycle, I used bicycles to practice. I tried to learn balancing because it's that matters when you ride with a two-wheeled vehicles. After I bought a new motorcycle, I take some classes in motorcycling. This one is mandatory in all states. You need to take classes in order to be legit in riding. Practice and practice. Shifting gears is not a problem. It all depends on you. Well, you will also learn that when you join motorcycle classes. I suggest you use a full face helmet when you are planning to travel. Full face helmets are more secure to use. Also use jackets, boots and gloves.

Source(s): Rider Road

Best way to gain confidence is practise, Professional help in a safe environment is a good place to start. Stay within your comfort zone, ride in areas of low or no traffic, take your time. As your abilities build, your confidence will as well. Good luck and have tons of fun!

• Fred

Enroll in a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. It will also reduce the probability of you having any accidents and may save you some insurance coverage cost too!

Quickest, easiest , and safest way to turn a novice into a skilled rider!

Source(s): They have advanced classes with a statistical return in safe riding ...I'm overdue!
  • Neil B

Have you done your CBT? If not then you're riding illegally, and if you did then go back to the riding school where you did it and slap them for not teaching you properly!

to build confidence is to practise and get professional lessons.

also might be worth looking on youtube for roadcraftnottingham for tips on riding.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RoadcraftNottingham