promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 7 years ago

How much can you lie on your cv?

I have been a stay at home mum for nearly 3 years now and I'm going to start looking for a job but as I've been unemployed for so long I'm worried that no employer is going to give me a chance. Will I get in trouble or caught out if I make a job up and put a false reference? Has anyone got any tips or advice for me? I was a hairdresser and I have experience in working in a supermarket and that's the sort of job I'd be looking for, something in retail or a receptionist etc

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favourite answer

Lying on a CV is fraud

Get caught and you're in big trouble - fraud is a serious criminal offence (for which you would probably be jailed)

If you lie on your CV and are subsequently found out, you can be dismissed immediately. In theory the employer can sue you for all the wages they ever paid you. That doesn't tend to happen, but they do sometimes call the police (unlikely for a hairdressing/supermarket job). That dismissal can happen after any amount of service - so you can never feel secure in your job.

There is a big difference between lying - ie making up a fact which can easily be disproved, and exaggerating a little.

So, making up a job or qualification would be fraud

Saying you are 'fully conversant' with a software program when,in fact, you've used it a few times, you might get away with (as long as using that program wasn't a core part of your daily job or you could learn very quickly).

Three years isn't a very long time out of the jobs market, so I'm not sure why you're worried. Many people get jobs with 20+ years at home with the kids

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 7 years ago

Stan must be very highly qualified to tell a professor of law that they are taklking out of ther ****!

I have personally been asked for legal representation, within my trade association, by people who are in precisely this circumstance - ie they have been sacked after lying on their CV.

It's not uncommon and gets increasingly so. You've got an employee who you would like to get rid of but don't want to pay redundancy or have the hassle of a tribunal? Just dig our their CV and check every tiny detail they wrote 1, 10, 20 years ago.

If that doesn't work you check their expenses

Either way, it's fraud and fraud is a criminal offence - strangely the professor got it right

• Huh?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

If you put false info in a CV and your employer later finds out, they could sack you on the spot for dishonesty. If they find this out during the hiring process, they will almost certainly not give you the job. False references are also risky, what if the company writes to your referee and it comes back 'addressee unknown'?

People big themselves up on CVs all the time but outright lies are risky and best avoided. By all means present what you've done in the past in the best possible light, decent employers will accept that you wanted to look after young children for a while.

There are lots of websites that give jobhunting advice. This one is American but quite good for general advice: http://careerplanning.about.com/od/careerchoicecha...

• 7 years ago

I didn't used to lie on my CV but these days you have to in order to compete with all the other bs CV's out there. It's more exagerations than lies. I look at that website 'linkedin' (I think) and look at the old people I used to work with and every detail is manipulated and glorious titles are added with all these technical words to make it sound like an important and responsible position than what it was (and I know exactly what they used to do there and it makes me laugh:).

But all the employers I have worked for seemed to already be aware of this and only look at the facts while discarding 80% of "padding". I think it is how you potray yourself in the interview that is most important and the CV is just like a advertising brochure to help you promote yourself to get to the interview stage. As long as you can do the work that they require then I think it is sometimes neccessary to manipulate your resume so it can compete. For example, if your a good hairdresser and thats what you want to do you could say you have had your own small business cutting peoples hair at home to make it seem you have been proactive for a period. You won't require a reference if you worked for yourself.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Look why not actually base your cv off of YOUR skill set that you have got from being a stay at home mum, you have juggled being cook cleaner book keeper and dishwasher for the past 3 years pure and simple, you can sure as shyt multi task.........

Don't lie more play off of the skills you DO have.

• 4 years ago

How significant is the means on your activity? are you able to overview greater to fill interior the gaps? in case you tell them you would be fired, so attempt and concealed it and study as much as you are able to from people who've that means. and don't do it returned, its ok or flourish on skills, yet not outright lie.

• So you want to start your job search by being dishonest? Good thinking.

90% of resumes that contain lies are discovered. You will then permanently rule out ever working for that company.

• 7 years ago

The people who are telling you that it's a criminal offence are talking out of their ar$es. The worst that could happen is that they wont give you the job. Once your already employed they're not going to be checking your CV so you wont get sacked. My advice is if your going to put some "blag experience" on your CV give in some of your friends numbers so they can pretend to be your former employer. Do what ever you have to do to get the job, it's a dog eat dog world out there.

• 7 years ago

Maybe Stan is not in the UK?

Read the relevant part of the fraud act http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/35/sectio...

• 7 years ago

Never lie, stress your prior experience and talk about new skills you've learnt from being a mum.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.