Americans ..... this is not a hateful question but ......?

How widespread is the use of knives? Let me explain. I'm watching Rules Of Engagement and in a diner scene, three of the main characters were having a plateful of something for lunch ... no knives were being used nor any on the table. In the background, none of the extras were using knives and when I... show more How widespread is the use of knives?

Let me explain. I'm watching Rules Of Engagement and in a diner scene, three of the main characters were having a plateful of something for lunch ... no knives were being used nor any on the table.

In the background, none of the extras were using knives and when I visited Miami a few years ago, my friends and I went out for lunch and they were surprised when I used a knife AND a fork.

I know you are a sophisticated people but was wondering if it's a cultural thing.