Why do Americans call University college?

I'm just curious, I'm not having a go or anything, calling it college would make sense if the institutions were called "Yale College" or "Harvard College", when in reality they seem to all have university in the name e.g Yale University, Harvard University, New York University etc. Is there a particular reason for this?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Ashley
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favourite answer

In the U.S., colleges are institutions that award undergraduate degrees: associates degrees (2-year) and bachelors degrees (4-year). Some colleges are stand-alone institutions, such as Amherst College and Williams College (two very prestigious schools). Others are part of a university. For example, Harvard College is the undergraduate division of Harvard University. Another example: the University of Notre Dame includes a College of Arts and Letters, a College of Science, a College of Business, etc., and those colleges award undergraduate degrees. Graduate students are enrolled in the university (which is the same place and often the same buildings and classrooms).

So even if someone begins their higher education at a University, they will first be enrolled in one of the university's colleges... and since most students are undergraduates, they are correct in saying "I'm a college student."

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 years ago

Colleges are undergraduate institutions while universities have both undergraduate and graduate programs.

Harvard College will thus offer just bachelors degrees but Harvard University will offer bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees. Universities also conduct major research in a variety of fields.

• Tony
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

because they are different part of the education like the UK has you have per-school, secondary uni and college

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Most of them can't spell univarsety.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.