Tax refund Being held for education credits?

I filed my taxes On Jan. 29th with no problems, but soon received an email saying my refund was being delayed/held for education credits. I don't understand why since I filed a 1098-T and not any of the other ones, can someone help me figure this out? If it helps I filed with Turbo Tax and my refund says pending.

Favorite Answer

Because Congress passed tax law changes on Jan 1, the IRS had to re-program their computers.

The IRS says the form is not ready and will start processing returns with education credits in mid-Feb. It has nothing to do with Turbo-tax.

I filed my taxes with Turbo Tax on Jan 27th and I also got the same email about the delays. I have been trying to figure out how long my refund is being held up due to the education credits. Thank you everyone for your comments. Put my mind at ease a little.

Your return is being held up because it contained form 8863, which deals with education credits. I am experiencing the same thing right now. I have been told that the IRS expects to have this fixed by 2/11, but who knows.

Anything that has to do with Education has been put on hold til Middle of February. 1098T Is a Tuition Statement is considered apart of the Education Credit hold they have placed.

Source(s): IRS.GOV