Could you still get gas from a pump if the gas station itself is closed?

This may sound like a stupid question, but I have to leave in the morning around 4:30 to drive to school (I have to drive a good 3 hours). I have 2 gas stations around my house, but they usually don't open till around 6 in the morning.

Would it still be possible to get gas from the pump using a debit card even though the gas station itself is closed?

Favorite Answer

Why don't you fill up your car tonight? That way it doesn't matter if the station are set up to allow you to pump gas at that time.

Legally: Depends. Some gas stations are open 24 hours a day when you use a credit card.

Illegally: Yes.. a little. There is always still some gas in the hose. You can often open the nozzle when the pump is off and get a little into a can at ground level. Trying to use a pump to suck it out isn't going to work as most pumps use "displacement" pumps which move an exact amount of gas for each revolution... so, gas won't be sucked around a stopped vane.

Save your nickels and dimes.

I guess it depends on the gas station. But I've done that several times. Went to a gas station that was closed and still just paid outside. As long as they take debit or credit, which all do now a days. Just drive up to a big gas station like an Exon or BP.

Don't listen to anyone who says no. I've gotten gas several times past 12am at night and just paid at the pump like I would during the day, but the gas station itself was closed. Its a business, why wouldn't they let you still get gas?

Source(s): I've done it.

You can buy gas at many stations at all hours even if there is no attendant. You just pay at the pump. Won't work if you need to pay cash, though.

If the station is "NOT OPEN FOR BUSINESS", the pumps are turned off. But go ahead and try to pump fuel.

• PMack

No, they shut the pumps down when they are closed. You'd better go tonight.

Yes you can. Where i live i can get gas at whatever time i want. Thats why they are there for