promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

peyton manning vs tom brady: whos better?

who is the better qb. i dont know all the facts about their careers but i know they faced each other in the playoffs in 2003 and 04. how were the offence and defence of both their teams then? ive heard tom bradys defence was amazing and mannings was the worst and the reason manning and the colts didnt advance. is this true?

if you guys know some facts like 'first qb to get X amount of td's" type of records, please share.

also, who do you think is better?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favourite answer

Peyton is the better quarterback. Brady has always pretty much had the better team surrounding him, especially on defense.

If you look at their stats and NFL records they are nearly identical. Each one goes back and forth beating the other's record. Tom Brady has won 3 Super Bowls, but he hasn't won one since 2004. When Peyton won his back in 2006, he beat Tom Brady in the AFC Championship game in the biggest comeback victory in AFC Championship playoff history, overcoming an 18 point deficit. When the Colts won it that year, they had the lowest ranked defense to ever win a Super Bowl. Their defense was ranked dead last in the league. Tells you how much was riding on Peyton's shoulders.

When Peyton made it to the Super Bowl again in 2009. He did so without former head coach Tony Dungy that he'd won the 2006 championship with. He also did it without his #1 recevier Marvin Harrison which the Colts let go before the start of the season. And he also did it without his #2 receiver Anthony Gonzalez who went out injured in the first game of the season and was out the rest of the season. The guy that replaced Marvin was a 6th round draft pick from the previous season that had only caught 3 passes in 2008 and was really bad at dropping the ball. The guy that replaced Gonzalez was a 4th round rookie. And most of the other receivers went out injured that year, leaving the rest that filled in as non-draftees. I don't think Brady could ever make it to the Super Bowl with a team that's patched together that bad. If Freeney wouldn't have gotten injured in the AFC Championship, the Colts likely would have won the 2009 Super Bowl. At the beginning of the game, Drew Brees was 3 and out while Peyton drove right down the field and scored. But as the game wore on, Freeney's injury affected his speed, allowing Brees far more time to find an open passer and in the 2nd half with that extra time to pass, Brees was on fire. Brady and the Patriots that year also played the Saints. The Patriots got blowed out the worst I've ever seen them get blowed out. The Colts did quite respectable compared to how bad Tom Brady lost to the Saints in Foxboro.

Also keep in mind that once Brady lost his superior defense after 2004, he hasn't won a Super Bowl since. And Brady has ALWAYS had a group of veteran receivers brought in from other teams like Welker, Moss, Ocho Cinco, etc. And for 95% of Peyton's career in Indy, the Patriots had earlier and more draft picks than the Colts. So it is hard for Patriots fans to argue that the Colts had better receivers, when the Patriots passed those receivers over since they always picked before the Colts, even when they lost in the Super Bowl to Eli the first time, they still had a higher pick in the next draft.

Some will argue that Brady is better because his career started off so much better. Of course it started off better! Brady took over as quarterback for a a team that was en route to Super Bowl when the other quarterback (Bledsoe) went out injured. Kinda nice to fall into the best talented team in the NFL. Peyton on the other hand was the #1 draft pick, meaning he started for the last placed team in the entire NFL (32nd). Big difference starting off with the best talented team vs the worst talented team.

Then you look at the consistency. Nobody is more consistent than Peyton Manning. NOBODY. He plays great every single game that he plays. Tom Brady will play one of the best games you've ever seen one game. Then the next he plays about as bad as Sanchez did this season. Last year against the Ravens he played horrible, but his defense bailed him out. This year at the end of the game he throws 2 picks against the Ravens. Heck, Andrew Luck played against the Ravens in the playoffs and didn't throw a single pick and he's a rookie!

On stats and records they are nearly equal with Peyton holding a few more records I think. Brady has more Super Bowl rings. But the big difference is the supporting cast and the consistency. Peyton had a lot less to work with and he is far more consistent in his high level of play. That's why this year near the end of the season he had the longest win streak of any team. The first 5 or 6 games he was still gel'ing with his receivers since it was his very first season with them and partly due to his injury still recovering. But then he fired off like 8 wins in a row. Brady doesn't do that.

• Jeff5 years agoReport

you are on drugs if you believe that manning is better

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Powerful Winning Betfair Strategy : http://BettingMachine.oruty.com/?Aaf
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Seems to me you are leaning towards brady. Because you didn't mention the fact the colts Rushing attack was one of the worse in the league. would that be pure skill for Manning as well? I still go with Manning. The Patriots have gone down hill since the year they were busted Cheating. Matt Cassel Stepped in for a Injured Brady and looked great going 10-6. Says something about the Pats and the team not so much the QB. Curtis Painter Stepped in for Manning and blew the game pretty bad. Manning is the better of the two

• 7 years ago

I'm always amazed at how devilishblueyes gets things wrong in new and different ways when it comes to a Brady/Manning discussion.

Brady is the better of the 2. Unlike Manning, Brady has not always had good receivers/weapons. In fact, most of his career, he had average to below average receivers that struggled to make other teams, not "veteran receivers" like someone else said. When Brady filled in for Bledsoe, they weren't "the best, most talented team" either like someone has pointed out. They were 5-11 the year before and were 0-2 when he came in for Bledsoe and oddly enough, their first win was a blowout victory over the Colts that season. Manning's first year with the Colts was with the worst team, but anybody arguing that the Patriots entering Brady's first year as a starter were the best is a complete and total moron.

Players like David Patten, Troy Brown, Deion Branch, David Givens, Bethel Johnson, etc. were not "veteran". Patten was a football journeyman, Brown had been with the team for a decade, Branch, Givens, and Johnson were all draft picks by the Patriots during Brady's time there. None of these player should EVER be confused with Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne. Outside of Randy Moss and Chad Ocho Cinco, they have basically never had any "veteran" receivers.

When they faced each other at the early part of the 2000's, the Patriots offense was balanced with run and pass with basically a bunch of marginal players outside of Corey Dillon, who was basically over the hill. Their defense however was good. The Colts and Manning on the other hand, didn't change their offensive philosphy until this past year. Defensively, they were built to play with a lead. Small on defense with great pass rushers.

The difference between the teams was philosphy. The Colts wanted to outscore teams, the Patriots wanted to physically beat them. That changed in 2007 when Brady finally got offensive weapons to match Manning and the Patriots became more reliant on their passing game than anything else.

The difference between the players, is that Brady has played in multiple offensive systems with a revolving door at the skill positions, mainly with marginal talent. Manning on the other hand played in the same system for 12 years, and basically had the same personnel surrounding him for that entire time, not really seeing that change until 2010 when all of those players were either out of the league or hurt.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 years ago

It's an age old issue that a lot of bettors are plagued with almost all their lives. If you're able to manage to help keep dropping month after month, then at the least you can hold trying. But in fact, you are just trying in the useless wish this 1 day you'll grab that big gain and everything will be all right again and this you can only make it happened here https://tr.im/RR5rT with Zcodes System.

The help team is awesome; they keep the info fresh and current! That isn't anything some body only whipped together and decided to sell to whomever. This is intended for sure sports investors and you can find 27 true persons behind that computer software that will generally respond to your support passes within 24 hours.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Right now I would say Manning but if Brady can engineer a Super Bowl win this year I think I would have to say Brady. Manning is like a coach on the field and Brady has had a better supporting cast and coach his whole career.

If memory serves me correctly Brady won his first 8 playoff games.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Peyton... He went into the ravens locker room and waited a hour and a half to congraduate ray lewis after they beat the broncos last week and brady has walked off the field without shaking hands with the opposite team after losing big games more then once

• 6 years ago

Hi,

I downloaded NFL Head Coach for free here: http://j.mp/Y2ShEl

it's a perfectly working link!

NFL Head Coach it is actually the first 3D online sports game which challenges the player to control and manage almost every aspect of the team.

Enjoy it.

• 7 years ago

regular season you can give to Manning and it's still pretty much a toss up. Post season it's Brady and it's not even close.

• 7 years ago

I'm taking Brady every time.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.