International Tefl Academy (TEFL)?

I want to get my TEFL certificate however they do 1 month intensive programs & I won't likely be able to get a month off of work.

My question is, is it THAT much better to take the course in person as opposed to online? Or do you learn as much online/will you be as much of a proficient teacher?

Hi Matt,

My names Olly and I work for i-to-i TEFL...

It's nice to hear you are so interested in TEFL! The industry standard (the minimum amount of hours most TEFL employers ask for) is 120 hours.

You can do an online course in your spare time to achieve that and then you should be in for a good chance applying for jobs against others depending on were you would like to teach.

There are other courses we offer which can all help you in different ways depending on what you want: http://www.onlinetefl.com/tefl-course/

We even have a 140 hour combined course which enables you to do the online course and then do an intensive 20 hour weekend practical teaching course so you can do that in between your job, so you'll get the best of both worlds!

I hope this helps Matt!

Best wishes,

Olly

• israr

International Tefl Academy

Tefl Academy

Are you a certified teacher in your country of citizenship & have teaching experience? If not, you must have it. Despite the ads touting jobs for native speakers - "no university degree necessary" - that's not true. Only fly-by-night schools will take those without degrees in English, Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, or related fields. Some countries require masters degree + TEFL certification + experience to apply for employment visa.

You MUST have teaching experience & at least a bachelors degree, in addition to TEFL certification to get a halfway decent job & the appropriate employment visa.

And teaching in a classroom full of language learners is nothing like the textbooks say, and you need experience no textbook can teach. Believe me - Been There, Done That. Criminy, even teaching in public schools in places like the US, where so many schools are loaded with immigrants who cannot (some will not) speak English is nothing like trying to teach abroad.

TESOL/TEFL is about grammar, phonology, and methodology online or in-class, and it doesn't make any difference whether you learn this online or in-class. What really matters is the course syllabus.

Many TESOL/TEFL institutes like Ontesol offer the opportunity of setting up a 20-hour Practicum after their online course.

• Ian

Ibu guru doesn't know what he is talking about. For example, the legal teaching requirements in China, Korea, Taiwan, and Japan are to be a native speaker and to have a four year degree. There are exceptions so I would see below.

In-class courses are considered more reputable usually. Online classes are fine for many. If they weren't would CELTA offer one?

Source(s): I have taught English in China, Korea and Taiwan. http://eslinsider.com/qualifications-requirements-...