This computer has wifi but no way to get to the wifi password?

I am over my friends house and I want to connect my laptop to their wifi. However I cant find the password for it. My laptop says theres a certain button you need to press on the router so you can also connect. What button is it and what does the button do??

I have access to their computer as well im actually on it right now :P

Also, what does the router look like?

Also, what does the router look like?

Favorite Answer

Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ (WPS) is a standard to easily connect WiFi devices,

Both devices have to have the WPS button to support this method. Here is Cisco's description. http://homekb.cisco.com/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=...

You can also display the wireless password on a WiFi computer that can connect to the wireless router.

Display it:

Click on the Wireless signal icon in your Taskbar (looks like a triangle with 5 bars).

Wireless connections will appear.

Right click on the wireless connection to your router.

Select Properties > Security Tab > Check show characters box.

Good Luck...

Source(s): Internet Service Info. - http://isp1.us
  • roper

If the wifi password is desperate via the ISP ( in different words, no person at your abode did it) they sometimes write it on the place of work work for the setting up... and truly frequently pass away a tag on the router that announces what that is. it's going to be pronounced as the WEP key on the tag. Uverse does this on all routers, and comcast does it on maximum of thiers. Failing that, your basically determination is to reset the router (there'll be a button on it someplace, verify out the handbook) then shop on with the stairs to connect directly to it and configure the wifi. On basically approximately all installations the password field interior the administration panel will basically exhibit stars... you will not bbe waiting to examine it.

• Ben

That's a special feature only available on certain routers.It's called "Wi-Fi Protected Setup", and it lets the router give your computer the key without needing the password. It's possible that your friend's router doesn't support it.

your router is what ever was sent to by your internet provider.

The router will have your

SSID (Service Set Identifier) on the back and

the password with it.

Know if for some reason it is not on there, then you need to call your internet provider, because they should never send you router without this information.

Trust me i am a PC and Network Engineer.

Check on the back of the router for a password

Theres usually a reset button on a router, get a pencil and hold the reset button down for a while, things reset u shouldnt need a password...could be wrong, try it.

• David

If you already are running your friends computer that has wifi, download this little utility and it will display the wifi password for you.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wirelesskeyview.zip

Also repeat posting is likely to irritate fellow answerers, if you have anything different to add simply update your original post

HTH

David

It does not matter. You have to have their password to connect.