The right to "express" religion?

Discussing the recent cases of "discrimination" against religious people here in the UK (only one case was upheld) on TV tonight, and a few people are basically demanding the right to "express" their religion in public.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21025332

Doesn't this strike you as hypocritical given that the mainstream religions are doing everything they can to repress, hide, demonise and even criminalise gay people?

If religious people are allowed to flaunt their way of life in public why shouldn't gay people?

@Christian Left: Here in the UK, the Catholic Church has been extremely vocal about its hatred of gay people. The Church of Scotland and the Church of England have both attempted to sound more civilised but both have a large core of people just as anti-gay as the Catholic Church. For that reason both have expressed strong reservations and/or opposition to gay marriage.

@Vin: The only evil thing around here is bigots who attempt to impose their ridiculous beliefs on other people. I'm looking at you here.

@zxcvcv: Sorry, but that just isn't true. Just Google Cardinal Keith O'Brien. He regularly foams at the mouth about gay people and the "tyranny of tolerance". He utterly hates gay people and can't hide it. Just to emphasise the point, his crony the Archbishop of Glasgow, Philip Tartaglia, has also repeatedly made homophobic remarks in public and got himself into trouble when he slandered Labour's David Cairns who had recently died.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/25/archbi...

@Michael: Quite the opposite. What I'm trying to say is that if religious people want freedom of expression then they can't demand the right to deny that same freedom to other people.

@zxcvcv: I'm not going to feel sorry for an organisation whose official policy is to demonise innocent people and campaign to have their rights restricted. They deserve contempt, nothing else.

I find it disgusting that in this day and age, people are allowed to express unbridled bigotry against gay people under the guise of "religious beliefs".

...

• Abba

Really?

If you actually listen to the words the Catholic church says (I know listening may be hard for you) they are condemning the act not the person and they have done so for decades.

Here in the UK the Catholic Church is not vary vocal about many things because the state does not allow them to. Are you aware that Catholics and Jews have less rights than Anglicans here for no reason other than to oppress them?

@edit. The Catholic church in the UK is capable of speaking to its laity but you try and see them talking in the mainstream media about issues such as the millions they raise for charity or the social welfare they give and you will not see that being reported will you? The only press the Catholic Church seem to get is bad press in this oppressive nation.

Do you know that a Catholic or Jew can not become a Prime minister but a Muslim can. Heck even a scientologist can. There is no law stopping almost any other religion from becoming a Prime minister except those two.

Edit. Actually the policy is to demonize the act. Not the person. The Church also demonizes Murder theft and rape. These things are acts. You seem to want to be demonized if you are equating yourself with the act. I would think people are more than an act they perform.

Ideally they should both have the same rights to "express" their beliefs.

When the ideals conflict, one side will try to suppress the rights of another. That is what you have there.

I am a Wiccan and when I walk down a public street, I have been spit on for wearing a symbol (pentacle necklace) around my neck. My christian counterparts can wear crosses and walk down that street with no fear of being spit on. The Christians see no problem with this and blame me for wearing the necklace for the treatment I have received. The reason is simple..... christians are hypocrites.....

In the UK mainstream religions are doing that? LOL

Sure you're not talking about America? The Church of England does not discriminate against gay people.

Religious people want to express their religion in the sense that they want to take away the rights of gay people.

• Rai A

Personally I believe that religion AND Politics ought to be treated like sex

Done between concerting adults in Private

.

Source(s): Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
  • Tina

God has brought judgement on those who have lived such lifestyles.Examples are Soddom and Gomorrah. Those who do flaunt such behavior are making it worse for those who do not wish to see it, and it is morally objectionable to them. The public has seen so much already, in the tv shows, and movies, that it is not something that I would want to see nor many others. There are sexual health risks as well that are involved, and yes I know there is a lot of 'medical' study and advances that have been made in treatments of those diseases. But mankind is sinful, i.e. likes to behave according to hedonistic behavior, all of the entertainment, greed, and lust for the things of the world are quite evident in many venues. Sports, gambling, theater, to name a few. So what do you mean they aren't allowed to show their behavior, it's already been made known in the media alone . Seek to be respectful of others and you will be shown respect likewise. If you can't do that then you need to realize the cause of your behavior is sin. All are guilty of this disease it affects all of humankind. You may not want to believe what I have said here, but it is true if you will only seek to know the Truth in the matter at large. Try reading the Bible, try the ministries that are out there to help those who are hurting because of the lifestyle they are leading. Yes there are ministries out there to help those who think, and have lived the gay lifestyle. The reason they are there is because God is real, and He wants to have your souls to be saved too. But you do have that choice to make. It's your own choice as well. If you are interested you make check out the ministry of www.exodusinternational.org and www.lovewonout.org

Source(s): exodusinternational.org, and lovewonout.org

Because it isn't accepted by culture, everyone is so absorbed into their own lives and care about nothing but ruining others.

@vin yes because leading the crusades is more evil than loving people

It is God's way or the highway seeing how God made everything and owns it all, He is justified to do that. God bless and good day. Maybe you'd like living in the U.S. if you don't already.

I see. So it's OK to express any belief, so long as you approve.

Sounds like free speech to me.