Why are modern dress designs so short ?

Why are high street clothes designer for young girls creating skirt and dress designs that are so short ? I am 17 and I am not religious or of particularly high moral standing but I have noticed designers for girls my age have been designing increasingly short skirts and dresses and I don't feel comfortable... show more Why are high street clothes designer for young girls creating skirt and dress designs that are so short ?

I am 17 and I am not religious or of particularly high moral standing but I have noticed designers for girls my age have been designing increasingly short skirts and dresses and I don't feel comfortable wearing such things as it sends out the wrong message about me but I want to feel fashionable so I buy this design anyway.

My question is why are we all so comfortable with buying and wearing such short and frankly provocative clothing ?
Thinking back to when I was 14 I regrettably wore more revealing outfit and I want to know why it's okay for me and other girls to dress this way?
There is no right answer, I just want to know other peoples opinion especially parents who buy and chose their daughters clothing.