Did you know the Bible does not teach "3 Wise Men" visited Jesus?

Now examine the account at Matthew 2:1-11 from the King James Bible: “Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem . . . And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother.”

Notice that the account states just “wise men,” not “three wise men,” and that they first traveled from the east to Jerusalem, not to the birth city of Jesus, Bethlehem. By the time they finally reached Bethlehem, Jesus was a “young child”—no longer a baby—and no longer in a stable but in a house.

Also, while the King James Bible uses the words “wise men” in describing these visitors, other translations use “Magi” or “astrologers.” According to A Handbook on the Gospel of Matthew, the expression “wise men” translates “a Greek noun which originally referred to Persian priests who were experts in astrology.” And The Expanded Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words defines the word as “a wizard, sorcerer, a pretender to magic powers, a professor of the arts of witchcraft.”

Although astrology and witchcraft are still popular today, the Bible warns against their use. (Isaiah 47:13-15) They are forms of spiritism and are practices that Jehovah God abhors. (Deuteronomy 18:10-12) That is why no angel of God announced the birth of Jesus to the astrologers. However, by means of divine intervention in a dream, they were warned not to report back to wicked King Herod, since he sought to kill Jesus. So “they withdrew to their country by another way.”—Matthew 2:11-16.

Would true Christians want to perpetuate a fabled Nativity that distorts the truth surrounding the birth of Jesus? Surely the answer is no.

(Mark 7:5-8) 5 so these Pharisees and scribes asked him: “Why is it your disciples do not conduct themselves according to the tradition of the men of former times, but they take their meal with defiled hands?” 6 He said to them: “Isaiah aptly prophesied about you hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honor me with [their] lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 7 It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach as doctrines commands of men.’ 8 Letting go the commandment of God, you hold fast the tradition of men. . .

(Mark 7:13) . . .and thus you make the word of God invalid by your tradition which you handed down. And many things similar to this you do.”

Jw.org

Update:

Okay, I honestly need to know the scripture you are referring to that says 3 gifts? Please?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Bible does teach more than 1 wise man visited Jesus...could be 2...could be 3...could be more! If you look at the map of ancient Israel in New Testament times, the travellers from the east who came from a far away land would obviously take the best roads in order to go through Jerusalem and then go westward to Bethlehem!

http://www.bible-history.com/maps/palestine_nt_tim...

There are very few roads from the east going around Jerusalem to Bethlehem, and the Dead Sea was also giving few options being located just east of Jerusalem and Bethlehem. If LOGIC is in the minds of the Watchtower writers, they would logically assume the magi would have taken the shortest route on the highway to Bethlehem seeing they were on a very long and tiresome journey. If you were taking a long and tiresome journey to a small town, on the way there, would you also be logical enough to take the major highway, stop in a major city along the way to refresh yourself, and ask for directions like the magi did???

In the Book of Daniel, the Hebrew word "chakamim" was used to refer to the magi, the "wise men" of that time. Here are the NWT verses of this event...

10 The Chal·de´ans answered before the king, and they were saying: “There does not exist a man on the dry land that is able to show the matter of the king, forasmuch as no grand king or governor has asked such a thing as this of any magic-practicing priest or conjurer or Chal·de´an. 11 But the thing that the king himself is asking is difficult, and nobody else exists who can show it before the king except the gods, whose own dwelling does not exist with flesh at all.”

12 Because of this the king himself became angry and got very furious, and he said to destroy all the wise men of Babylon. 13 And the order itself went out, and the wise men were about to be killed; and they looked for Daniel and his companions, for them to be killed.

14 At that time Daniel, for his part, addressed himself with counsel and sensibleness to Ar´i·och the chief of the king’s bodyguard, who had gone out to kill the wise men of Babylon.

Why would the king kill all the wise men if they are not the magic-practicing priests, the conjurors and the Chaldeans??? Obviously, logic dictates the wise men including Daniel himself were part of the chakamim group, and he was NOT evil, the magi in Matthew were also consistently NOT evil!

The magi were quite knowledgable of the Messianic prophesies in the Old Testament Scriptures. IF they were as evil as the Watchtower wants to portray them, they could have killed the child themselves! Instead, they gave expensive gifts and worshiped the child, and then they obeyed God's command and took a longer route around Jerusalem going back east, not to see king Herod ever again!

• 4 years ago

It doesn't say how many. The word used is plural, so there were at least 2. The idea of 3 comes from later Catholic tradition. I'm not buying it, but that is where the idea comes from. ---------------------------------------... RE I believe it comes from the 3 gifts they brought. Yes. The early Catholic iconography would show one wise man with gold, one with frankincense, and one with myrrh. Originally, it was meant to be a teaching tool (not literal). Later, it was believed that there were literally 3 wise men.

• 7 years ago

Did you know that the name "Jehovah" does not appear in the New Testament?

Also in Zechariah 12:10 the Watchtower changed the scripture where Jehovah says they will look upon "me who they have pierced" to "him who they have pierced" because it lent credence that Jesus was God.

How interested are you in Bible Truth? Or are you only a puppet of the Watchtower?

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

also delilah did not kill samson.

if you look at nativity scenes the wise men carrying 3 gifts fit for a king are not included in the scene , they are on the outside

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Jesus was tricked. Would have been secular.

He worshipped God but not the same way Jews did. If only he met Muhammad, perhaps he would have shared some things.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Krista, you are correct. There probably was more than three wise men and they didn't visit Jesus at his birth but as a young child.

But I would like you to be honest with yourself concerning the watchtower religion you belong to you. I noticed that you have quoted a verse spoken by Jesus in (Mark 7:13 ) which I assume you believe the rest of christendom is guilty of not obeying.

This is the KJV rendering of this verse which is similar to the NWT

"Making the WORD of GOD of NONE EFFECT through your traditions.."

I would like to bring up some points on watchtower teachings which I believe they privately interpret which proves that they violate (Mark 7:13 ) just like others do.

Point one: The watchtower teaches that Jesus Christ did NOT rise from the dead PHYSICALLY but only as a spirit.

Not true!

(Luke 24:39 ) "Behold my hands and my feet, that is I myself: HANDLE ME, and see; for a spirit hath NOT FLESH and BONES, as ye SEE me hath"

Jesus told his disciples that he WASN'T a spirit in this verse.

(John 2:19 ) "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up".

Jesus told his disciples that he would raise his PHYSICAL body at the resurrection. And no, Jesus was not talking of a literal temple -- look at v:21 "But he spoke of the temple of his body"

btw - Jesus said he would raise himself from the dead in (John 2:19 ) but in (Acts 2:32 ) we read that God raised him.

Who was telling the truth, Jesus or Peter ? answer: both, because Jesus is God in the flesh (John 1:1,14)

Point two: The watchtower teaches that Jesus went back to heaven and became Michael the archangel.

Not true !

(Acts 7:55) ..."looked up steadfastly into HEAVEN, and saw the glory of God, and JESUS standing on the right hand of God"

Why did Stephen say that he saw Jesus in heaven and not Michael ?

(Acts 9:5 ) "And he said, 'Who art thou, Lord ? And the Lord said, I am Jesus"

Why did Jesus answer to Paul from heaven and not Michael ?

(1Tim 2:5 ) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, that MAN Christ Jesus.

Why is Jesus called a man in this verse and not an archangel ?

Point three: The watchtower teaches that Jesus Christ came back to earth invisibly in 1914 to set up his invisible kingdom.

Not true!

(Col 1:14 ) "Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and HATH translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son'

Why does Paul say that all the saints (christians ) have been translated into Gods kingdom already ? So how could it have been set up in 1914 ?

(Rev 1:7 ) "Behold he cometh with clouds. and every EYE shall SEE him"

Jesus Christ will come back to earth VISIBLY and PHYSICALLY and every human will see him. So where did the watchtower idea about 1914 come from if its not in the bible ?

btw - If Jesus is now Michael then why do the watchtower say it was Jesus who came in 1914 ?

So here's a challenge to you. How about studying these poihts yourself through your own bible study SEPARATE from watchtower publication answers ?

(2Cor 13:5 ) Examine yourselves whether ye be in the FAITH; prove your own selves"

Source(s): KJV 1611
  • Alex
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

It does not say they were only three but it does say three gifts. It does not say how old jesus was. But it dpes talk about east from either Persia or iran

Lv 7
    7 years ago

What do you care? Doesn't Jesus live in New York somewhere according to the WBTS?

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Yeah cause there's no such thing.

As a wise man, that is, not Jesus. XD =P

Source(s): jk
  • 7 years ago

I, too, read and know a little Greek.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.