Can I use these swear words in young adult novels?

I'm writing a young adult novel, but I don't know what publishers consider swear words, but I'm thinking words like:

A** (like butt) or A** hole, or butt hole

Witch(y ) but with a b or sub it with B(iotch)

Cr** (another word for poop, just in swear terms)

Da** (like Hoover damn just with an N)

That's all I can think of right now

If I can't use these, I could probably use synonyms or short ones like when I wrote a** hole. I'm also wondering how much of my descriptions are too old or gross (sexually or gory) for young adult.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Best answer

You can use most of those in children's books, provided it's done sparingly.

What age would _you_ have stopped being shocked by them in writing? Nine? Ten? No, you weren't amazingly mature - you were average.

"how much of my descriptions are too old or gross (sexually or gory) for young adult."

Noughts and Crosses involves terrorism and rape. It's a young adult book. What on earth were you planning on writing about that's more "old or gross" than that?

YA books have YA protagonists - that's the basic distinction between them and adult books. They're not supposed to be sanitised suitable for 5 year olds.

• Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Son of a ... is high-quality - it really is fairly gentle. The F word is diverse - for one ingredient it wasn't used as a swear word back contained in the days of pirates (contained in the Yo Ho Ho experience) and secondly, including it may cut back your probabilities of having revealed. yet when it really is meant to be a sensible tale about pirates 100 or extra years in the past, you really could analyze your problem. The words you element out purely did not exist back then. Language variations - and which includes words and expressions that are thoroughly anachronistic could be really incorrect.

• 7 years ago

Those are fine, I've read loads of young adult books with worse words.

Source(s): I know there are loads of answers but I'm still stuck on this. Can you please answer mine? 10 points: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201...
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

your totally okay to use swear words, even in youth books there is swear words but there is a way of using them. you shouldn't use them in every sentence but mildly here and there, proves a good point and creates an edge

good luck

Source(s): A very constant reader
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Yes you can. I've seen plenty of young adult books that even have some f bombs sprinkled here and there.

• 7 years ago

I'm not sure about "witch" but the others should all be fine.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.