How to prepare for high school tennis?

I am in eight grade and when I get to the high school next year, I really want to try out for tennis. I have played on the 7th and 8th grade middle school teams and I was basically average and I got better towards the end of the season. I don't play year round, but I do other sports to stay fit. So I... show more I am in eight grade and when I get to the high school next year, I really want to try out for tennis.

I have played on the 7th and 8th grade middle school teams and I was basically average and I got better towards the end of the season. I don't play year round, but I do other sports to stay fit.

So I know I most likely wont make varsity, but I still want to try out for JV. I know the coach at my high school and I'm willing to practice a lot. I am saying this a year in advance so I will be prepared by the time I get to the high school.
How good am I going to have to be to make the team? Any tips?
Thanks!
Update: Some other details:
- I don't play competitively in tournaments
- On the middle school team I played doubles, but I was in the top 10 on my team
- I run every day to stay in shape
- I'm willing to put a lot of time into practice
- I know I need to work on serves