lol asked in SportsSurfing · 7 years ago

Want to start surfing but fear of sea creatures lurking below.. specifically sharks?

(UK)

7 Answers

Relevance
  • John F
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Soxy and Laura are sadly mistaken. there are sharks in every ocean of the world. The ocean is their home, we are just visitors. Even in shark infested waters, shark attacks are very rare. In fact, it is much more dangerous to drive to the beach that it is to go surfing. You are m,ore likely to win the lottery on the same day you get struck by lightning than it is to ever even be nipped by a shark

Yes, there are other ocean hazards, jelly fish are the main one that I can think of. But again, millions of people play int he oceans of the world every year, and only and handful fall prey to any kind of attack by sea creatures. Most ocean deaths are the result of inexperienced swimmers not realizing their limitations in the face of rip tides, undertows and sometimes very big waves.

I have been surfing since 1966, and they haven't gotten me yet.

• 4 years ago

Initially some species of sharks have made unprovoked attacks toward humans. What occurred to Steve Irwin was an accident and mostly stingrays don't assault people. Like with any marine enivironment, you have to recognize the entire creatures within the sea. Do not fear them, however recognize them. Take the time, for yourself to be taught the marine environment to the place you are going, and study abou the ocean creatures. Simply appear at them and do not touch anything that you're not acquainted with. And perpetually swim with a group and never by means of yourself.

• Kevin
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

I surf in some of the most shark infested waters in the world and they really don't mess with you, the Hammerheads freak me out and they are aggressive, more people get attacked in California than this part of Mexico, Great Whites in CA, the Rays are more of a problem than the sharks

• 7 years ago

Do you ride in a car? Cross the street in heavy traffic? Work in the garden amongst bees? If you answer yes to any of these questions, then you have a far higher risk to injury from those events than an encounter with a sea creature.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 years ago

We live in the uk there are no sharks here -_- if you are that worried then surf somewhere private or just look it up where there are none okay

• 7 years ago

Sharks wont bother you unless you bother them. I'd be more afraid of the reef haha

• 7 years ago

mate,surf in beaches with protection from sharks,shark nets ect.. and you will be fine

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.