What's the lowest central heating temperature required to keep pipes from freezing up?

I'm not expecting an exact figure, but I'm trying to keep costs down with central heating whilst ensuring that the pipes don't freeze, and wondering if anyone has any tips?

Cheers!

• Tony

First, I'm DEFINITELY not an expert. So I can only offer "Hear-say". I've heard that pipes can freeze with the thermostat set as low as 62 degrees F (16.67 C). As it was explained to me (if memory serves me) was that cold air (at or below 0 degrees C) can strike a pipe and cause it to freeze. So like one of your previous answers said, it depends on a number of factors.

I've taken steps to protect all my plumbing from infiltrating cold air by sealing up all openings near the plumbing AND to wrap insulation around the pipes wherever I could not be certain to have protected them. And I keep my stat set to 66 F at night but 72 when I get up and back down to 68 while I'm away. My opinion is that keeping the house colder than that is just too uncomfortable.

Hope this helps.

'av'a g'day mate.

")

• elhigh

Generally the lowest temperature setting available on a thermostat set to HEAT is 50 degrees. That's more than enough to prevent any pipes inside the structure from freezing, however if you have plumbing running through a crawlspace or attic you probably shouldn't expect enough heat to conduct along the pipes to keep them from freezing. If that's the case, strongly consider adding some heat tape to the pipes and wrapping insulation around the pipes too. You can find heat tapes that have thermostats, or you could run them on a timer so they simply came on a couple of times per day to keep things thawed out. It'll still be cheaper than running the central heat.

Source(s): Handyman, HVAC tech

There are a lot of factors to consider, such as: Are the pipes exposed or are they inside cabinets? Are they on outside walls? I kept my previous house at 14C with no problems, though I did keep the cupboard under the sink open all the time. I kept a previous house a little warmer but would have to leave the water dripping, as the water line to the main wasn't buried deep enough & would freeze.

So keep your house as low as you comfortably can & try to keep the pipes exposed or covered with heat tape or insulation.

• Frank

I live in the N.East of UK where it can get very cold my Boilers have always been in the Garage and fitted with a frost thermostat and I have never had a problem the stat is set at 6c but that is chilly why not look at turning off rads ie rooms not used all the time warm through now and then.Set your timer to come on at times they will give you benifit not on when you are not at home or in bed...........every little helps.

The recommended setting for a frost stat is 3 degrees C.

I keep my inside temperature around 60, use the fireplace for heat, and have lots of cozy blankets around. My daughter sleeps cold so she warms her room with a small electric heater. My electric bill hasn't gone up and gas was $24.00!!