As a kid have you ever done something to make a good impression, that you were told off for?

My parents made a fuss when relatives gave us pocket money. Once when I was given 50p for baby sitting for a neighbour, I was not only made to give half the money back, but mum told me off because the neighbour guessed it was not my idea. A few months later, I was shopping with Mum and my younger brother. We met... show more My parents made a fuss when relatives gave us pocket money. Once when I was given 50p for baby sitting for a neighbour, I was not only made to give half the money back, but mum told me off because the neighbour guessed it was not my idea.

A few months later, I was shopping with Mum and my younger brother. We met her boss, who asked us to both choose a Xmas gift from WHS Smith. I thought 'He's an important man, so I must show him I've been well brought up.' I chose a book that was under £2 rather than something for say £10. My brother chose something in the same price range too.
When we got home, Mum told us off for not choosing something better,[ie more expensive] Yet it was the way we were brought up that led us to do what we did. I think she should have told us before-hand we were meeting her boss, and given us guidance as to how much we were allowed to ask for.
-------------------------
Years later, my mother-in-law said 'No child would give back half the baby sitting money, unless told to, and thought it crazy to expect me to be a proficient liar.
She also thought my mum should have been pleased that her boss could see she did not have greedy children.

Has anything like this happened to you?
Or do you think you would have reacted like my mother?
Update: Thanks Shaleena. I would have rather have been told I had to babysit as a favour and not get paid,
than being made to pay back half the money.
1 answer 1