J
Lv 4
J asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 8 years ago

Why is the Okanagan a desert?

I was watching a video on permaculture recently, titled "Green Gold", found on youtube. The amazing thing about it was the reclaiming of desertificated caused over exploited agriculture. So I have a theory about the Okanagan region and it's modern use being turned into agricultural land. I'm wondering if the Natives long ago lived in there in a large group, it was over farmed and timbered and long forgotten about. I watched China, Ethiopia and Jordan reclaim their deserts. Would it be a good idea to reclaim that desert land by using terraced gardening techniques and only indigenous shrubbery? If we used students with a payment of summer credits, in 5 years we can turn it into the greenest place in BC. Just a few ideas I'm throwing out there.

Update:

@John: Guess the cause is evident. Terraced gardening and digging of swells restores deserts. Watch "Green Gold". Earth is supposed to be a garden.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favourite answer

The desert areas are growing. Oklahoma is being over farmed and they say too much water is being taken from the underground water. It looks like there is a big lake there. Maybe just leave it be.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.