William asked in SportsMartial Arts · 7 years ago

Will training bjj 5 times a week make me progress faster then other people?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best answer

no, some people train 6 times a week

• 7 years ago

It depends on the quality of your training and the effort you put in and your attitude. I have had students and fighters that would attend class 5-6 times per week who put in only 75-80 %. People who work full time are a good example of this and its tough to come and work out after working all day long. Unfortunately they usually don't progress as well as you would think and I have told more than one of them before that its more important to come maybe only 3-4 times per week and instead put in a 120% effort.

Your question touches on a very important aspect to training in a martial or fighting art and it is just not the number of times you work out each week on average that's important. It also really depends on your approach to your training and if you are putting in quality effort rather than just going through the motions.

• Teresa
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

it really all depends on what level you are fighting from and how much time you get to recover from cutting weight. At the professional level most fighters who are top line middleweights cut from around 200-210 pounds to get to 185, some even more see anderson silva, rich franklin, vitor belfort. assuming that you only have hours to rehydrate instead of a day and a half and also that you arent fighting guys who d1 national champion wrestlers or 3rd degree bjj blackbelts who have trained mma for several years your fine at 195.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

I agree with captainj..., but the fact that you are practicing 5 times a week it means that you are putting lots of practice time. Practice makes better, when it comes to a technique practice it over and over again, if you know the mechanics, then just work your muscle memory so the technique becomes part of your reactions. Bruce Lee once said "Don't fear the person that had practice 10,000 kicks, fear the person that has practice one kick 10,000 times," something like that, I don't remember the exact words but you get the point. And most important only focus on yourself, and be patient. Good Luck!

Source(s): 2nd Degree Black Belt
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

On average, the more you train, the better you become and the faster you progress. Be careful you don't burn yourself out.

• 7 years ago

Yes, but it all depends on how you train in one day. I know people that go 6 days a week and leave with their Gi soaked in sweat. Its all about what you put into it.

• 7 years ago

your effort is what will make you progress faster. You can have someone show up more but not be attentive and learn less than someone who shows up less often but when they are there they are attentive and they work on their weaknesses.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.