patch
Lv 6
patch asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 8 years ago

Why is Nick Clegg allowed to grant £12million of our money to a charity supported by his wife?

NICK CLEGG, the deputy prime minister, was facing questions last night about his role in a decision to award £12m to a charity supported by his wife.

Booktrust, which gives away books to promote reading among children, said last week that it had received the funding from the Department for Education (DfE).

Last month Clegg’s wife, Miriam Gonzalez Durantez, hosted a reception to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Bookstart scheme.

“There was unease at the way that it appeared Mr Clegg wanted special treatment for Booktrust, and the fact that Miriam’s name came up,” a Whitehall source told the Mail on Sunday.

Leaked emails appear to show that Matt Sanders, a special adviser to Clegg, asked for the cash to go to Booktrust without it having to compete with other charities for the money.

Senior civil servants expressed concern at the way the bidding process had apparently been manipulated in Booktrust’s favour.

Sunday Times 2.12.12

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favourite answer

All politicians are the same. What he did is unethical and point of fact, I don't think that taxpayers money should be given to any charity Why not spend the money directly instead of giving it to a charity, which most likely will spend most of it on salaries and bonuses anyway. Most charities are just a money laundering front for the rich, they very rarely help the poor and needy.

I don't know if what Nick Clegg did was illegal, but it should be and why should we waste 12 million on a charity, when the money could be spend on front line services.

• 5 years ago

Understanding the foundational studying skills enables your youngster to concentrate on understanding the topic they are examining rather than struggle with knowledge the words ultimately leading to a more rewarding and satisfying examining experience and that is in what this program Children Learning Reading from here https://tr.im/MOdQb is based.

Children Learning Reading use practices to help your child read and improve his reading, awareness, and spelling ability in the early school years.

Even though Kids Learning Reading plan is situated about your youngster understanding the little appears which make up each word there are some phrases in the English language that only can't be discovered in this manner (rhythm for example). To be able to help you to train your son or daughter these exceptional words an manual is presented to the most common phrases that must be trained by sight.

This bonus could be particularly valuable in the event that you and your youngster are fighting a particular word. You know that if the term is within the information then it's something that can't be trained applying the Children Learning Reading method.

• 8 years ago

I'm between a rock and a hard place on this one. On the one hand, I can't stand Clegg, on the other hand 'Booktrust' is one of the few charities I would donate to. Having worked for several charities, I know that very few use their money to directly help people. They mount glossy campaigns, rent expensive office space, host celebrity events and employ media consultants... then treat their frontline workers like dirt. Booktrust actually does what it says it will.

Can I abstain this time?

• Yorrik
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Nick Clogg is a thieving bastardinardo. Instead of donating £12 million of tax payers wonga to a dubious charity from which no doubt his tart deducts a large salary, the money should go to feed the thousands of starving children here in London - their plight caused by his cuts in their family benefits.

Take £30 from a poor family = starvation. Take £30 from Clogg one less bottle of cheap plonk.

London UK 031212.2241

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Jan409
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Booktrust is a long established charity with a proven track record of supporting early literacy and I would agree with its continued funding

I work with young children and families and know the importance of reading to young children so have no qualms whatsoever in Booktrust getting continued funding to carry on with its very valuable and well evaluated early literacy programme

Source(s): uk
  • 4 years ago

very few ought to have examine this questions and extremely few responded it nevertheless i'm additionally between them a citizen of usa earlier an Indian as we can't stay a citizen of two international places via fact being American resident we are no further Indian yet we are able to bypass to our mom land for ever and are loose to stay there too loosing all advantages if we live longer i think of , each physique loves peace and hate a place the place there is not any protection . as quickly as I see terrorism is a international problem each physique ought to play his or her function . whilst Malala a muslim woman can combat for preparation of girls ,whilst a new child needs his or her freedom a terrorist lives in terror and not loose from its outcomes ,an afternoon might come whilst human beings might come forward to wipe it from human minds whether that is only too previous due already , there are maximum of technique of destruction to wipe comprehensive humanity if necessary action isn't taken faster . i'm too small to take any action ,yet all style of violent videos must be faraway from media so as that we don't have get entry to to them by any means . human beings can lease those varieties of videos for couple dollars and upward thrust as much as combat with relatives then to next neighbor then at artwork then someplace at determining to purchase mall ,then everywhere he would not think of advantageous introduced on by using media and components he can get entry to from cafes and massive call greenback who provide this freedom so certainly . Then we try to calm the recommendations this is already bombarded with plenty unfavorable preparation around the international .

• 8 years ago

This sad excuse for a human being needs to be banned from politics as he is incompetent and not up to the job,he has no right to waste our money so selfishly,we already waste money on sponging Muslims et al.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

"leaked emails", what about all the emails that are not leaked and things that are hidden from the public. The Den of Iniquity strikes again.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Clegg is a corrupt little worm.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Because he is part of the establishment/government corruption.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.