Spartan L asked in HealthDental · 8 years ago

Is there enough mercury in a tooth filling to do you harm if swallowed?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favourite answer

    No. The amount of mercury in dental amalgam is small, it is normally entrapped with silver or gold, and elemental mercury is not highly toxic, anyway, since it is very poorly absorbed from the GI tract.

  • 8 years ago

    If it were totally available, yes, but it is bound to the silver, and only released slowly, and probably would pass right through you in a couple of days.

  • 8 years ago

    No, the levels are very low and haven't been proven to be of any danger.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.