Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 7 years ago

How much is a couple, few and several in terms of approximate value?

Ok, i am having a bit of an arguement about this I think that couple is 2-3 few is 4 or more and several is 7 or more mainly the arguement is about whether couple means 2 or if it means 2 or 3 the other person's arguement is that the definition of couple is a pair or match so it's 2 but i am saying that when you say couple you are giving an approximate answer and if couple meant 2 it isn't approximate and you may as well say 2

What are your thoughts and what do you think of when you hear couple, few or several?

Update:

Ok, it seems some of you aren't reading the question properly it says "in terms of approximate value" that means when i say "oh a couple of years ago" does that mean exactly 2 can't be more can't be less or does it mean it could be more than 2 might have been 3

Update 2:

Ok, it seems some of you aren't reading the question properly it says "in terms of approximate value" that means when i say "oh a couple of years ago" does that mean exactly 2 can't be more can't be less or does it mean it could be more than 2 might have been 3

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Sienna
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Best answer

A couple is two. A few is three. Several is three or four.

If you say 'a couple of years ago' that means, strictly speaking, more than two but less than three. However people might use it to mean about two years ago, so, could be 20 months.

• 7 years ago

Couple is 2, few is 3. Not sure about several but I would say 7 as well. Couple is generally used when something is in a pair, which is 2. And don't listen to Ellen she doesn't know what she's talking about

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.