trish b asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 7 years ago

Any inventive cooks got new ideas please?

We had roast chicken last night and loads left over. I would like to do something a little different with the leftovers. I've done the curry thing too many times and cold with chips or baked spuds. I would like to make something which my husband is not expecting. Any suggestions please people.

I will and always do make chicken soup but there's enough for another meal first.

If I were the one with leftover chicken, I would prepare either a delicious pasta dish or a yummy chicken pot pie. Here are two of my favourite recipes. I hope you will try one of them. :)

White Cheese Chicken Lasagna

Ingredients

Original recipe makes 12 servings

9 lasagna noodles

1/2 cup butter

1 onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

2 cups chicken broth

1 1/2 cups milk

4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 cups ricotta cheese

2 cups cubed, cooked chicken meat

2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese for topping

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, and rinse with cold water.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the butter until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in the flour and salt, and simmer until bubbly. Mix in the broth and milk, and boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Season with the basil, oregano, and ground black pepper. Remove from heat, and set aside.

Spread 1/3 of the sauce mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer with 1/3 of the noodles, the ricotta, and the chicken. Arrange 1/3 of the noodles over the chicken, and layer with 1/3 of the sauce mixture, spinach, and the remaining 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Arrange remaining noodles over cheese, and spread remaining sauce evenly over noodles. Sprinkle with parsley and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.

Bake 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven.

CHICKEN POT PIE 

1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken (or same amount of leftover chicken)

4 med. sized potatoes

3 carrots

2 c. frozen peas

1 can cream of celery soup

1 can cream of chicken soup

2 (9 inch) pie crusts

Cut chicken, potatoes, and carrots into cubes. Boil all together for 1/2 hour or until chicken is cook through and drain. Add frozen peas. Mix in cream of celery and cream of chicken soups. Put in deep dish pie plate, amount is generous top with pie crust, pinch crusts together around edges. Put 4 slits in the top. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

One more great way to use leftover chicken, is to make a barbecued chicken pizza. Spread unbaked pizza crust with barbecue sauce, cover with leftover chicken, thinly sliced, sweet red onion rings, fresh or dried basil, and mozzarella cheese. Bake until brown in hot oven. This is a suprisingly delicious pizza! :)

Source(s): Allrecipes.com and cooks.com.

My upbringing, as with most contemporary Americans, left me with absolutely no cooking skills, and no confidence in the kitchen. After feeling too long I was missing out on something, I set out to learn to cook and build my confidence around 5 years ago. I found C.I. invaluable in the beginning, like each issue came with a pair of training wheels, pads, and a helmet. I believe it took me as far as it could in a year, which was probably about halfway towards my goal. It was only after that year I began to feel confident and experiment more, or follow other much less thorough recipes (which many foreign cookbooks or older cookbooks are full of, those 4 sentence recipes that assume you already know how to cook) with verve.

I canceled my subscription to the magazine then, but still subscribe to the website and find it to be a unique and useful quick reference if I'm about to buy a tool or appliance, or just can't remember a certain fool-proof technique

try peanutchicken ,soke the chicken in water cream and curry powerd ,peanutbubutter over nite and in a bowl with clean fiml over so the flavours dont get out put in the over for and hour at 250c tilll tender and with the juces put in a pot and add free chill chop finally with onines and dry graglic the add the peanutbeutter juces to ur salttaed oinines and graglic and simmer for and minute on loww heat, chips or wedies go class with dis dish and cream or natural yohgurt and take off heat at this piont the chicken should with be cooked ,enjoy:) my family love this dinner

Source(s): food

ive done so many things with left over roast chicken and recently leftover turkey

i love making

fried rice with chopped veggeys and diced meat

enchiladas with jack cheese or other cheese and a delicious enchilada sauce with cilantro and pico de gallo

if im lazy ill make stew

and recently i diced some and dusted with flour then fried them and mixed em into a salad

and i also made a supreme sauce with milk and onions and clove and just had it like that with sliced chicken

my fav has to be enchiladas with rice

What I always do is make a homemade chicken soup. Absolutely devious!

• Larry

Chicken ala king

chicken pot pie

chicken salad sandwiches

chicken fried rice

• J

How about Mexican chicken casserole or chicken tortilla soup?

• Thomas

Not to sure about chicken!, but I am sure most politicians can tell you hundreds of ways to cook the books!..

This a popular recipe usually often used to use up leftover turkey, but it works equally well with chicken. If this recipe is too large for your family, either halve the ingredients or make 2 casseroles and freeze on.

Chicken Tetrazinni

Yield: Serves 12 (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups; 6 servings per casserole)

.Ingredients

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Cooking spray

1 cup finely chopped onion

2/3 cup finely chopped celery

3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 (8-ounce) packages presliced mushrooms

1/2 cup dry sherry

3 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2/3 cup)

3 (14.5-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, about 2 3/4 cups

2 1/4 cups (9 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided

1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese or regular cream cheese

7 cups hot cooked vermicelli or skinny soup noodle or cappelini pasta (about 1 pound uncooked pasta)

4 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (about 1 1/2 pounds) I use light and dark meat.

1 (1-ounce) slice white bread, (I used about 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs)

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350° (175C)

2. Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, black pepper, salt, and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add sherry; cook 1 minute.

3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Gradually add flour to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly (mixture will be thick) with a whisk. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.

4. Add 1 ¾ cups Parmesan cheese and cream cheese, stirring with a whisk until cream cheese melts. Add pasta and chicken; stir until blended. Divide pasta mixture between 2 (8-inch-square) glass or ceramic baking dishes coated with cooking spray.

5. Place bread in food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form. Combine breadcrumbs and ½ cup Parmesan cheese; sprinkle evenly over pasta.

6. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Remove casserole from oven; let stand 15 minutes.

To freeze unbaked casserole: Prepare through Step 5. Cool completely in refrigerator. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing to remove as much air as possible. Wrap with heavy-duty foil. Store in freezer for up to 2 months.

To prepare frozen unbaked casserole: Thaw casserole completely in refrigerator (about 24 hours). Preheat oven to 350°.(175C) Remove foil; reserve foil. Remove plastic wrap; discard wrap. Cover casserole with reserved foil; bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 1 hour or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes.

You can also do a chicken pot pie. I had tons of leftovers from Thanksgiving so that is what I did. I used the leftover turkey gravy as the base. I gently tossed leftover cut up turkey, brussels sprouts, wild rice (with pecans. butter nut squash and dried cranberries) and broccoli together and folded these leftovers into the gravy. I put a layer of leftover mashed sweet potatoes on the bottom of a casserole dish, added the gravy with the leftover ingredients and then spread a layer of mashed white potatoes over the top of the casserole and baked it in a preheated 350F (175C) degree oven. Guess it was more like a shepherd's pie. If you don't have all these leftovers, just make a Bechamel (White) Sauce and add your leftover cut up chicken along with defrosted mixed vegetables or peas and carrots to white sauce. Transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish, top with defrosted puff pastry and bake for about 50 minutes or until crust in golden and the casserole ingredients are bubbling slightly. You can replace the bechamel sauce with low-sodium canned condensed cream of chicken or mushroom soup.

Source(s): http://www.cookinglight.com / food / quick-healthy / easy-chicken-recipes-004 / page6.html -