Should the NHL be dissolved?

I've finally become fed up with this ridiculous NHL lockout, and I now think the NHL should be dissolved. I've been waiting around like a stooge for the season to begin, while these negotiations carry on and on because neither side is willing to give an inch. Now I'm thinking the smart thing is to... show more I've finally become fed up with this ridiculous NHL lockout, and I now think the NHL should be dissolved. I've been waiting around like a stooge for the season to begin, while these negotiations carry on and on because neither side is willing to give an inch. Now I'm thinking the smart thing is to find some other league to follow, like college hockey or something like that. I'm so disgusted with both sides in this, that at this point I truly don't care if they ever play again.

Here you have a bunch of players, many of whom probably were just barely able to finish high school, being paid millions of dollars for playing a kids' game....and yet it isn't enough.

Then you have owners, all of whom are already millionaires (or even billionaires) from other businesses, for whom owning a hockey team is a sideline, and they aren't willing to give up a penny of profits. It seems no matter how much money THEY have it isn't ever enough.

Both sides have definitively shown that they have absolutely no regard or appreciation for the fans and no real love or respect for the game. If/when they settle this, we're supposed to go right back to feeling like we're watching organizations who appreciate us and who love this game? How many of us will be able to buy that?

But what's most offensive to me is the way that both sides---all of them millionaires---are willing to risk the livelihoods of small businesspeople who depend on the hockey season for their existence. All the small bar and restaurant owners who depend on that income to survive; the vendors; all the various workers and employees who make the hockey season possible behind the scenes---for garbage wages---who actually might not be able to have a Christmas or even feed their families because these bloated idiots are spending months arguing over who ought to have the cherry off the top of the sundae. I find it nauseating.

I know that "everything is relative" money-wise, and that labor disputes are always difficult and painful for both sides. But my feeling is that in this case, when we're dealing in the world of entertainment, and absolutely NO ONE on either side is going to feel a financial pinch no matter what happens, that for them to go on like this is a slap in the face to everyone who makes it possible for them to have what they have and everyone who ever cared about the game.

I think what they deserve is to start the season again and find the stands empty, with everyone who worked to make them their millions, and who followed the teams with loyalty and devotion, gone somewhere where we might be respected and valued.