Anne M
Anne M asked in SportsHockey · 8 years ago

Should the NHL be dissolved?

I've finally become fed up with this ridiculous NHL lockout, and I now think the NHL should be dissolved. I've been waiting around like a stooge for the season to begin, while these negotiations carry on and on because neither side is willing to give an inch. Now I'm thinking the smart thing is to find some other league to follow, like college hockey or something like that. I'm so disgusted with both sides in this, that at this point I truly don't care if they ever play again.

Here you have a bunch of players, many of whom probably were just barely able to finish high school, being paid millions of dollars for playing a kids' game....and yet it isn't enough.

Then you have owners, all of whom are already millionaires (or even billionaires) from other businesses, for whom owning a hockey team is a sideline, and they aren't willing to give up a penny of profits. It seems no matter how much money THEY have it isn't ever enough.

Both sides have definitively shown that they have absolutely no regard or appreciation for the fans and no real love or respect for the game. If/when they settle this, we're supposed to go right back to feeling like we're watching organizations who appreciate us and who love this game? How many of us will be able to buy that?

But what's most offensive to me is the way that both sides---all of them millionaires---are willing to risk the livelihoods of small businesspeople who depend on the hockey season for their existence. All the small bar and restaurant owners who depend on that income to survive; the vendors; all the various workers and employees who make the hockey season possible behind the scenes---for garbage wages---who actually might not be able to have a Christmas or even feed their families because these bloated idiots are spending months arguing over who ought to have the cherry off the top of the sundae. I find it nauseating.

I know that "everything is relative" money-wise, and that labor disputes are always difficult and painful for both sides. But my feeling is that in this case, when we're dealing in the world of entertainment, and absolutely NO ONE on either side is going to feel a financial pinch no matter what happens, that for them to go on like this is a slap in the face to everyone who makes it possible for them to have what they have and everyone who ever cared about the game.

I think what they deserve is to start the season again and find the stands empty, with everyone who worked to make them their millions, and who followed the teams with loyalty and devotion, gone somewhere where we might be respected and valued.

It's nice to think about...but at the same time, it would be horrible for the reasons you've already talked a bit about. Plus, professional hockey provides entertainment and a feeling of togetherness, of being part of a group, that people thrive upon. Look at the other Big Four leagues: the NFL, MLB, and NBA jack up their prices constantly, but they still sell out stadiums. Why? Because people still think it's worth it, and people always will. The teams are smart, so they only gradually raise prices, so the season ticket holders, the people who go year-by-year, don't notice the year-by-year changes.

Honestly, it may suck to hear that players and owners are fighting over millions of dollars, but what's the alternative? If the NHL were to stop existing, then an entire culture would be lost. Maybe not all people would be hurt financially, but some people would be hurt socially and emotionally. The NHL is a social organization that will not die.

And granted, the behind-the-scenes people scrap to get by, and there will always be poor. But rather than hating on an organization on which an impact is very unlikely to be made, we should help those that struggle and make an impact one-by-one.

There is no such thing as the NHL "dissolving", however there is "decertification". Decertification means the NHLPA breaks up and there is no longer a union and because no union exists means no CBA can exist either, also under it all contracts are nullified and players can sign with whoever they want for the higest bid as well.

Bottom line is only the NHLPA can use this tactic, but in doing that it will wipe out about a dozen franchises (the new jerseys, tampa bays, florida etc), and not all 750 current NHL players will be offered a contract so if it goes down a good portion of the players will be wiped out for good too.

I really dont see discertification happening because neither side truly wants that BUT I can see the NHLPA threatning it "If you don't take our latest offer were going to discertify" and I can almost gurantee you the NHL would cave because Bettman and crew don't want teams literally going down in flames.

Actually both sides are suffering- Most players aren't making a salary/revenues and owners aren't making ANY profits, but problem is their both stupidly greedy that they can't see how bad they are stinging themselves.

As much as I like your idea about fans tuning out it'll never happen and your deluding yourself if you think so. Sure, some fans will turn away but a lot of fans will come back for more, its just the way it works.

I completely agree with your statement and I for one will not be supporting them if they come back this year/season or next year/season as they have taken us ALL for granted. Billionaire owners and Millionaire players.

This season is gone, gone, gone. The fan base and ridiculous HRR will NOT be ever again what it was in 2011/12. They have themselves to thank.

NHL should be dissolved and a new League maybe entitled Major League Hockey (MLH) should be started. Baseball and Hockey are after all in a business sense more alike than different.

• John

Remember the players wanted to play & keep negotiating.

The NHL owners locked them out.

It's not a bad idea to dissolve the NHL & start a league of their own. Where would they play ? The old owners probably wouldn't rent the the stadium let alone ice time.

• A-Kub

If a sports league dissolved every time there was a lockout, we'd be left with professional wheelchair basketball on ESPN every night.

It really really sucks that the NHL locks out every 10 years, but they come and go. We just have to cope. The NHL wouldn't dissolve, it's too popular. Even the most p*ssed off fans always end up coming back.

see they dont realize how lucky they r to beable to play a sport for a job and make millions doing it , they dont know how it feels to be on the other end having a real job making minumum wage ...............they r greedy , they say they play for the love of the game they just proven thats a lie and its all about the fans money , i could careless bout them anymore , and i would not buy a ticket or any merchandise again

no, the nhl wont and shouldnt be dissoved..despite, i think 4 lockouts in 19 years..the nhl will always be popular and have fans..maybe not like the nfl..but pro hockey will always be here.

I agree with you if they don't get a deal done before the end of the year I think there won't be a season

if the NHL is dissolved...i am dissolved