Gaming with a wireless network connection?

Having recently moved in with my girlfriend, after sorting all the important stuff, i have started to think about my gaming, and how i am going to overcome the problem. I have heard lots of things about wired being almost a necessity for gaming etc. The router has to be in the dining room - as it is the only room... show more Having recently moved in with my girlfriend, after sorting all the important stuff, i have started to think about my gaming, and how i am going to overcome the problem. I have heard lots of things about wired being almost a necessity for gaming etc. The router has to be in the dining room - as it is the only room with a phone socket. I am getting a new desktop soon after Christmas.

So my question is how can i game without lag and latency issues, and particular Network cards or USB adapters that are preferable (my knowledge of computing is limited)?

Now, this is the ideal option, but if i have to spend a large amount of money to ensure a good gaming experience, would it be better to just run the phone cable outside, up the side of the house and in through the window? (neither am i a DIY expert)

Any answers would be very appreciated, thanks.
*sorry for poor presentation*