Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

What happened to the 3 Wise Men after they visited Jesus as a baby?

Hi All,

I'm writing a nativity for young children and it has just occurred to me that I have never heard more about the 3 wise men after the Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh part? Did they go to King Harold? What happened?

P.s. I know about the "there might have been 12 because the Bible doesn't specify a number part,I dont need you to remind

me!"

Update:

Yes, I know I said 3 but kids understand that better and "there is no biblical reference to the number of ambassadors or nations" won't really fit in with my script ;)

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best answer

They did not report back to the king instead they went their separate ways to spread the word.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Well...

understand that we're (or you're) moving out on a limb here. With that understanding, please consider my answer.

1 - Biblical account - an uncertain number of magi (astrologers) visit an infant Jesus and present him with 3 gifts

2 - later mythical addition to the Biblical account - the magi are now 3 in number.

3 - even later mythical addition to the Biblical account, the magi are now also kings, are named and their place of origin / kingship given:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_Magi#Names

4 - even **later** mythical addition:

http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/Text/conc...

They returned home, sold all of their worldly possessions and spread the gospel (which seems odd as Jesus was still an infant at the time!)

Each step after #1 is - well, to be frank, more and more fictional than the previous, less and less believable than the previous - and farther and farther in time from the actual event with no intervening record (in other words, someone suddenly recorded new information about the magi centuries after they existed).

I hope this helps! I recommend that you at least mention that what happened afterward is mere legend rather than historical or Biblical record.

- Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com/

• Many often confuse accounts in Matthew and Luke.

There were actually two separate incidents of Jesus being visited while a young child. The first incident occurred when he was born in Bethlehem, in which he was visited by an unknown number of shepherds (who were not "wise men," which should actually be translated "astrologers"), and they brought no gifts for Jesus. These shepherds had been visited by angels telling them that the Messiah had been born, and so they went and found the baby the angel told them about.

Later, after Joseph and Mary had taken Jesus back to their hometown of Nazareth, around the time Jesus was about 2 years old or so, astrologers from a country east of Israel (maybe Middle East, more likely from an Asian country considering how long it took them to arrive in Jerusalem) visited Jesus bringing the gifts you mentioned. They saw a star in the sky and followed it, and it should be noted that the star did not take them directly to Jesus, but instead took them to King Herod in Jerusalem first, signifiying that this star was actually probably sent by Satan, not God. If it had been sent by God, it probably would not have been sent to astrologers (astrology was deemed unclean by God in Deuteronomy chapter 18, among many other places), and it would not have led them to King Herod, a known enemy of Jesus.

Herod feared Jesus would replace him as king, since the Messiah was to become king of Judea. He wanted to kill Jesus before he could grow up so that Herod and his sons would not be replaced as kings.

When these astrologers arrived in Jerusalem and arrived at King Herod's palace, Herod asked them to notify him where Jesus could be found, saying that he wanted to pay his respects to the boy but in reality looking to kill Jesus. The astrologers were then sent to find Jesus, which they did. But that night God gave them a dream telling them not to tell Herod where to find Jesus, and to go home by a different way. Those astrologers did so, and went back to their home country without seeing King Herod again.

So Herod instead took the tactic of just killing every boy 2 years old and younger to eliminate Jesus that way; but Joseph was told by God to take Mary and Jesus to Egypt, thus fulfilling the prophecy that the Messiah would be called out of Egypt at a later date.

Source(s): Matthew chapter 1, Luke chapter 2
  • 7 years ago

the magi, " wise men" never visited baby Jesus.

Jesus was born in a stable in bethlehem,

later the wise men arrived at jerusalem,

by then Jesus was a young child living in a house.

the wise men were supposed to report to the KIng, Herod, but an angel sent them back by another route.

Herod had children 2 years old and younger killed to try to destroy Jesus.

why that old, he calculated it from the visit of the wise men.

(Matthew 2:1-12) 2 After Jesus had been born in Beth′le·hem of Ju·de′a in the days of Herod the king, look! astrologers from eastern parts came to Jerusalem, 2 saying: “Where is the one born king of the Jews? For we saw his star [when we were] in the east, and we have come to do him obeisance.” 3 At hearing this King Herod was agitated, and all Jerusalem along with him; 4 and on gathering together all the chief priests and scribes of the people he began to inquire of them where the Christ was to be born. 5 They said to him: “In Beth′le·hem of Ju·de′a; for this is how it has been written through the prophet, 6 ‘And you, O Beth′le·hem of the land of Judah, are by no means the most insignificant [city] among the governors of Judah; for out of you will come forth a governing one, who will shepherd my people, Israel.’” 7 Then Herod secretly summoned the astrologers and carefully ascertained from them the time of the star’s appearing; 8 and, when sending them to Beth′le·hem, he said: “Go make a careful search for the young child, and when YOU have found it report back to me, that I too may go and do it obeisance.” 9 When they had heard the king, they went their way; and, look! the star they had seen [when they were] in the east went ahead of them, until it came to a stop above where the young child was. 10 On seeing the star they rejoiced very much indeed. 11 And when they went into the house they saw the young child with Mary its mother, and, falling down, they did obeisance to it. They also opened their treasures and presented it with gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh. 12 However, because they were given divine warning in a dream not to return to Herod, they withdrew to their country by another way.

Source(s): bible account, not story performed as nice story for nativity play
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Magnum
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

well i believe after waiting for over thirty years, thats right,30 years! for jesus to do anything at all, them lads were totally fed up with all that camel riding across the desert to give some kid in a stable birthday presents.they could have saved themselves one long ride in the dust and alot of expense with the gold and ointment presents they gave yer man.three decades later and he still had not done anything.that trip on the camels from way over east was a waste.three decades and jesus does nothing!.very disapointed the three lads were,could have saved themselves alot of bother in the first place by staying at home....but no-one thinks of that bit do they?,the missing thirty years he did nothing!....

• Scotty
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

The 3 wise men is a reference to astronomy. The three stars Mintaka, Anilam, and Alnitak in the belt of Orion, which point directly to Osiris's star in the east, Sirius. It's not a literal story, so dress it up any way you want.

Source(s): Read the story of the birth in Matthew and Luke side by side and you will see the stories are contradictory.
  • 4 years ago

They moved to New York and opened a deli

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

The three wise men were chosen wittiness sent by their separative kings of China,India and Persia to bear wittiness to the Birth of the one true God and report all they seen and heard back to their kings.-Jesus Christ

Source(s): The holy Apostle James the Greater
  • 7 years ago

It's just a fable...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.