Why do some christians when praying for a sick person, say God must have needed them when they die?

It's really not making a fair impression God, it makes him out to be a selfish git with no concern for the family or friends who might have needed that impression. Really, I'm quite convinced christians say the most awful things about their God without realizing it.

Update:

Sorry first sentence is a typo.

Update 2:

@ John Savage, I trust this is probably not a common practice, although the catholic church did have a system where the family of a deceased had to pay a certain amount for them to get into heaven I don't know if that is still practiced today.

Update 3:

@ Problem, in front of the persons kin? No, definately not. Unless I wanted to get my behind kicked.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, I'd be uncomfortable saying that. But I'd not grudge anyone else the attempt to put things in the most comforting way he or she can find.

The basic thing to remember here is what would happen if we prayed only that our loved ones would never die. For the most part, unless we're hobnobbing with Enoch or Elijah, that prayer would be answered with a plain "No." Everyone does die.

And unless we who love them manage to die first, we're going to have to get along without someone we love. That is, at least in our beliefs, the hard part. Being the one who dies isn't. So a bunch of stock phrases have developed--some more sensible than others--for getting us through that deprivation.

But let's not kid ourselves: those phrases are based on a definite belief that death is not so much like running into a brick wall as like running through a gateway. To some place (metaphorically, that is; really, to some state of existence) that's better than this one. We believe that death is not entirely a bad thing; the only thing entirely bad about it is the effect on those of us left behind by the death of someone we love. That particular phrase may not be the best way to say it, but its point is just that: death is not all bad.

Paul may have put it better:

Death has been swallowed up in victory.

Where, O death, is your victory?

Where, O death, is your sting?

• 7 years ago

This comes from false teachings by most religions. By saying God needed another angel, it's blaming God for their death. This is not true. When a person dies, they fall asleep in death and await the Resurrection that Jesus spoke of.

John 5:28 Do not marvel at this, because the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.

Their are no memorial tombs in heaven, only the earth.

• 7 years ago

Probably for the same reason that when

U.S. armed service personel are killed in battle

somehow magically the American citizens freedoms & liberties are strenthened..

It's a natura lhuman way of excusing the ugly event as being a needed thing or

as having a benificial & prosperous meaning,

devoid of the fact that it actually doesn't add up statistically.

• 7 years ago

im a christian! And i completely agree, what they really mean to say is that maybe god has something better planned for them in heaven. God doesn't do it out of selfishness but to release them of thier pain while being sick. my dad who had un curable cancer was a strong believer and i am actually glad god could do that for him though i really want him here. i know my father has everything he dreamed off and more. so when god says he "needs them" i believe itss to reward them for all thier work they've done on earth and that simply he needs someone else to continue on the work or thiers has ended and he is more than satified. not trying to you know, make you believe or anything thats just where the christian view point stands i hoped i answered your question!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

some people (ok alot) believe that the best thing that can happen to them is going to meet their God.

So by saying that they think it is comforting to the person they are saying it to, unfortunately they are not aware it means little or nothing to that person. Besides look how sad it is that we lose our loved ones no matter what the reason is. Intention and Interpretation.

People who mistake what they are trying to do are not realizing that they bear no evil. They just find it comforting so they pass it on.

• 7 years ago

It's the anthropomorphizing effect of folk religion.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

When they die God roasts their souls and eats them.

So when the sick relative finally dies, they should be glad God gets another soul for his dinner.

• 7 years ago

What do you do, break into a chorus of An Other One bites the Dust?

• 7 years ago

isn't kissing god's *** in the next life more important than anything anyone could do in this life?

• 7 years ago

I agree. What a crock!

Source(s): Common sense.
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.