Why do kids hate drinking water?

I mean, I'm not really a kid because I'm 18, but I can never seem to motivate myself to drink water. I drink juice, Diet Coke, vodka and Coke (at weekends I drink vodka and Coke) and the only times I drink water is when I go to the gym which is mostly once or twice a week. I have a really sweet tooth, I'm vegetarian though so I do eat vegetables. I didn't get it from my mum because she's a health freak and she loves to drink water. My dad's a bit of a health freak too. But nowadays I have seen people about drinking fizzy and energy drinks. Why is it that kids seem to drink pop and energy drinks more than water?

Favorite Answer

It's because our tastebuds are very adaptable, and younger generations have grown up with a sweet tooth because they eat/drink too much sugar. I used to drink a lot of fizzy, sugary drinks, but now hardly ever do so because I have re-trained my taste buds to like water. I am not that much older than you so I know what it's like to grow up with lots of sugary foods and drinks around.

So really it's a case of gradually 're-training' your tastebuds to like things that aren't sweet and eventually you won't even like sweet things that much. That's what's happened for me.

Also don't underestimate the power of marketing to shape our thoughts and desires. Adverts and peer pressure can be very powerful and Coca-Cola has the largest marketing budget of any company...

Source(s): Years of research into health and personal experience.

my nephew is 9 and he loves water. I think it's good he likes water instead of pop and juice and milk all the time.

Water is amazing i dont know what your talking about!

Im 17 and i perfer water, but i love soda water. i think its the bubbles.

• Connie

kids today are given pop or soda all the time and most just don't want plain water

It's flavorless. Add some fresh Lemon juice to it.

Water is tasteless.

• JOE

Its so boring.